• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AzHole

Texturing vs. Other Non-Texturing Objects - Houston, we have a problem...

This topic is 5548 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Havent been doing OpenGL for a while, but have been through NeHe pretty far with the tutorials and decided to try some things out myself. Wrote a simple app that first creates a set of GL_QUADS in the upper right corner of the screen with a mask and image (images are 256x256 but masked down to 200x50). This was working fine. I even added in the tutorial with bitmapped fonts being loaded in from a texture file. Still, working great. Then I decided to try and draw a line for a spacer, and what do you know, the line wont show up! For example... // Button ------------------------------------------------------------------- glLoadIdentity(); glColor3f(1.0f,1.0f,1.0f); glEnable(GL_BLEND); glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST); glBlendFunc(GL_DST_COLOR,GL_ZERO); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture[1]); glTranslatef(1.80f, 1.30f, 0.0f); glBegin(GL_QUADS); glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(-0.5f, -0.5f, -4.0f); glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f( 0.5f, -0.5f, -4.0f); glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f( 0.5f, 0.5f, -4.0f); glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(-0.5f, 0.5f, -4.0f); glEnd(); glBlendFunc(GL_ONE, GL_ONE); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture[3]); glBegin(GL_QUADS); glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(-0.5f, -0.5f, -4.0f); glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f( 0.5f, -0.5f, -4.0f); glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f( 0.5f, 0.5f, -4.0f); glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(-0.5f, 0.5f, -4.0f); glEnd(); glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST); glDisable(GL_BLEND); // ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- // Spacer Line ----------------------------------------------------------------------- glLoadIdentity(); glLineWidth(2.0f); glColor3f(1.0f,1.0f,1.0f); glTranslatef(xpos,ypos,0.0f); glBegin(GL_LINES); glVertex3f(0.0f,0.0f, -4.0f); glVertex3f(10.0f,0.0f, -4.0f); glEnd(); // ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- And the line never shows up! xpos and ypos are defined earlier as floats so I can move the line inside the program and determine where it should be (easier then guessing and typing in numbers), of which both are initialized to 0.0f. I even tried turning on a few lights, but that had no effect, and even made the bitmap font strings I had turn funky colors. Anybody got an idea? I can email the entire source if needed. Thankx in advance. *Moving Forward Along the Backward Walkway of Technology* [edited by - AzHole on May 8, 2003 4:49:12 AM]

Advertisement
I think that there is a problem of coordinates.
The button is drawn at a -4.0f on the Z plane, you activated masking, then you write the line on the same Z coordinates, this means that the line is "into" the button, try drawing it at, for example -3.9f and tell us what appened...

Or try to increase the LineWidth, it''s possible that the distance from the camera makes 2.0 uneffective.

---------------------------------------
There are 10 type of people:
those who knows binary code
and those who doesn''t
---------------------------------------

Try disabling texturing while drawing your line:

// Spacer Line -----------------------------------------------------------------------

glLoadIdentity();
glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D); // Disable texturing

glLineWidth(2.0f);
glColor3f(1.0f,1.0f,1.0f);
glTranslatef(xpos,ypos,0.0f);
glBegin(GL_LINES);
glVertex3f(0.0f,0.0f, -4.0f);
glVertex3f(10.0f,0.0f, -4.0f);
glEnd();
glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D); // ... and enable it again

// ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

// Website // Google // GameDev // NeHe // MSDN // OpenGL Extensions //

Oy, thankyah much guys I reset the image textures to -3.9f (though that wasnt the problem, but thanx for noticing that, cleared up a few other artifacts I had laying around). I also disabled the 2D textures and that worked a treat. Thought I had tried that..oh well..it works now. Much appreciated guys Thanks a lot.

*Moving Forward Along the Backward Walkway of Technology*

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!