3D Studio Max Models in OpenGL

Started by
9 comments, last by The Geekman 20 years, 11 months ago
How can I import just a simple 3D Studio Max 4.2 model in OpenGL!!!!! I am so frustrated with it! ON ERROR GOTO Hell
------------------ON ERROR GOTO Hell
Advertisement
I don't know if it's 3DSMAX 4.2, but it's worth a try...

http://www.gametutorials.com/download/OpenGL/3DSLoader_OGL.zip

---------------------------------------
There are 10 type of people:
those who knows binary code
and those who doesn't
---------------------------------------

[edited by - FabioPal on May 8, 2003 5:20:40 AM]
---------------------------------------There are 10 type of people:those who knows binary codeand those who doesn't---------------------------------------
The MAX format stores a stack of operations rather than actual geometry, so it is not at all conducive to reading into a program. Either write your own exporter in MaxScript (it''s really not that hard) or download one...they have various exporters available for common formats such as MD3.
Or if you''re really sadistic (like me), visit

http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/mxr/gfx/3d/3DS.spec

The spec is a little out of date, but gives you the rundown on the 3DS file format and how to read it in from a stream. You can then grab vertexes/materials/faces/etc from the data once youve decoded the mess.

*Moving Forward Along the Backward Walkway of Technology*
*Moving Forward Along the Backward Walkway of Technology*
I''m currently working on a exporter with MAXScript and I can say what hell is to export all the geometry / ilumination / mesh information...

"Steel and Fire,Spreading the Holy Word,Dirty Liars,The truth has never been told" - Primal Fear
quote:Original post by brucesinner
I''m currently working on a exporter with MAXScript and I can say what hell is to export all the geometry / ilumination / mesh information...

Perhaps, if you''re exporting an entire scene. If all you want is to export a model (as the OP is doing) it''s really very simple. There''s even an article on Gamasutra about it, IIRC, with sample source.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
Does anyone have any sample Max Srcipt that I can have? Or some sample OpenGL source for importing?

------------------
ON ERROR GOTO Hell
quote:Original post by The Geekman
Does anyone have any sample Max Srcipt that I can have? Or some sample OpenGL source for importing?

I''d show you mine, but it''s been in quite a state of flux recently, and I''m afraid that gazing upon its hellishly ugly visage might cause permanent harm. (Also, I''m doing stuff in it that you probably don''t want to care about.) I suggest you check out that Gamasutra article; it has full source.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
Where can I find that Gamasutra article?

------------------
ON ERROR GOTO Hell
Hi,

I''ve used the QTip exporter (export to an .MD2 format). this is a plugin for 3dStudioMax 1-2-3-4 that is quite popular, you should be able to get it on the web. From there you can load an MD2 model quite easily (I used a code example from OpenGL Game Programming book - it''s quite good).

Hope this help,

Kiroke
www.geocities.com/kiroke2
Kirokewww.geocities.com/kiroke2

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement