Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ppetrou

DirectX Developer Runtime

Hi, I am using the DX9 SDK. I am currently using the Retail Developer Runtime than the Debug as I am playing games too. Does anybody know if the Developer Retail Runtime is slower than the redistributable version that is included in the games cds?? I dont do major development and I dont want to have loss in the performance of games just for this. Thanks

Yes, the debug/developer runtime is slower than the retail one because it checks so many more things for correctness, gives debug messages etc.

When you''ve installed the *debug* runtimes, you can switch between that and the release/retail runtimes in the Windows Control Panel in the DirectX applet. Click on the tab for a component and you''ll see an option named "Debug/Retail xyz Runtime", you can change there.

You should always use the debug runtime for development and always use the retail runtime for peformance sensitive things such as profiling. So if you''re doing any development, go ahead and install the debug runtime - you can switch whenever you like.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

hi again,

I dont think that I state it correctly.

My main enquiry is if the Developer Retail Runtime included
in the SDK is slower than the version included in the games cds?
I can understand the differences beween debug and retail but thats not what I am asking.

I have just started learning DirectX and I dont do lots of
development. I rarely use the SDK to tell u the truth.
If the Developer Retail Runtime is slower than the one in
the games cd it might be worth to complete uninstall the SDK
and use the version from the games cds.

I just dont want the games to run slower because of the
SDK. I rarelly develop as I told u.

I can always install the SDK later when I have more time.

Thanks for your reply.

Ah right, in that case, NO, there should''n be any difference in performance between the Retail runtime which comes with the SDK (or is installed when you install the Debug runtime) and the one end-users typically download.

Or at least not that I''m aware of.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com