Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is an Engine?

This topic is 5335 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

For quite some time I have been hearing about the term "Engine" in the software community like - Graphics Engine Text Engine etc My question is - What is an Engine and what is its purpose and How it is designed and implemented? "There is a Bug in every Code!"

To me, an engine is a script interpretter. Also, the term has been stretched to mean anything that doesn''t stand alone, but provides an interface for doing something. For example, a sound engine could allow you to play sounds, but does nothing (useful) on its own. By this definition, there is little difference between an engine and an API. For example, OpenGL is an API, but could also be called a graphics engine.

Engine, n. :-

1. (outside the "community") A piece of code + associated documentation, tools and support for which you pay $50-500k and which will help you make a game faster. Example sentence: Splinter Cell uses the Unreal engine.

2. (in the "community") A piece of code which is about 20% designed and maybe 4% implemented on a good day, which rarely does anything well, exists mainly to prove how smart the author is, and is constantly in a state of being scrapped and started over. Example sentence: In my next engine, I will use stencil shadows cuz their c00l and Carmakc uses them L0Lz.

[edited by - assen on May 8, 2003 12:49:58 PM]

An engine is usually a special-purpose piece of software created for developers (not for end users) to create their own programs.

A cryptography engine would handle all of the encryption of data and what not. It would be up to the person using the ''engine'' to hook it up to a user interface and so that an end user could accomplish a task with it.

A 3D engine would handle all of the things neccesary to manipulate and display 3D models / graphics. It''s up to the developer to connect it to a user interface and make it acutally do something interesting.

It''s a very broad term. Some ''engines'' are runtimes (ie: running applications that your program communicates with) while others are library files that your code links too. I guess it''s like an automotive engine. It''s built to provide power-- it''s up to someone else to use that power to drive something.

Will