Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

new to programming

This topic is 5332 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, im pretty new to any programming besides web programming. I know very little c++ im about 4 chapters into my book and i was wondering if i would be able to learn opengl without really knowing any c++?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Not really you have to grasp the language completely before you are able to do anything trying to learn OpenGl/DX is a waste of time if you don''t grasp c++ completely.

As I recall there are other languages that are able to interface with OpenGL (although as I recall, its native language is C); however, attempting to learn an API such as OpenGL without first knowing some suitable programming language would be utterly pointless.

You could actually learn OpenGL by knowing only C which is easier and also quicker to learn than C++. But I think you would have to learn C++ later down the road, if you plan on becoming a serious game programmer.

Yes, but it would be the hardest thing you''d ever do in your life.

- Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda

openGL is a library of C functions. You''ve probably learned some functions already, such as printf() and scanf(). You''ve most likely written some functions yourself, like member functions to classes you''ve written. The point is that knowing those functions is pretty useless if you don''t know how to put them together in a program. openGL and D3d are useless by themselves.

I dont'' think it''s necessary to know C++ in order to write personal games so, if you just want to start writing graphics as quickly as possible, you could learn C and forget about C++ for now. In order to write larger projects, i''d suggest you at least learn the methods behind OOP and code organisation.

openGL will also work for VB, but that''s not an ideal language for game development.

thanks for your input guys ill just finish my c++ book and then get a little ferther indepth into c++. then ill work my way into opengl and dx

OpenGL is an API, which means that you must access it using some programming language, Java and C++ both have highly developed methods of accessing OpenGL, and you might find methods for other languages, but you do need to learn a language in order to use OpenGL.

You'll want to get plenty of experience with C/C++ before you start using OpenGL, etc... so that you can worry more about using the API instead of writing working code.

[edited by - deltacoder on May 8, 2003 4:45:11 PM]

I''m going to give you bad advice, expecially since I don''t know your age, but It was the way I did it.

My advice is learn a little of both. Read some OpenGL tutorials, and learn C++ while learning OpenGL. It will be very hard. But you are more likely to stick with something, if you are doing something you like.

quote:
Original post by k3v0
hi, im pretty new to any programming besides web programming. I know very little c++ im about 4 chapters into my book and i was wondering if i would be able to learn opengl without really knowing any c++?

Sure. Use Python with PyOpenGL. You don''t need any C knowlenge. Well... Not exactly.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Not really you have to grasp the language completely before you are able to do anything trying to learn OpenGl/DX is a waste of time if you don''t grasp c++ completely.

Oh, Mama, C is waste of time if you have plenty so funny languages such as Scheme, Python or Ruby...