Anyone know a good heightmap editor?

Started by
7 comments, last by SDyer 20 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I''m looking for a good grayscale heightmap editor, preferrably one that can save to RAW file format. I know I could use even Paint to create a heightmap, but setting the grascale pixel by pixel is way too tedious. I''m sure there''s a more convenient editor out there that lets me raise/lower portions of the image, setting all the involved pixels to make nice slopes, flat terrain, etc. Anyone know a good tool like this?
Advertisement
Bryce 4/5. You name it you can do it as far as terrains, you can export the heightmaps and mesh. When you export you can also save the texture and bumpmap to the terrain.

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"
How about a downloadable freeware/shareware one? Bryce is great, but I don''t think I can get it today, and all I need is a VERY simple tool for right now.
I saw this in someone''s signature here recently

http://hme.sourceforge.net/
the gimp has a plugin for heightmaps ..

i am not sure where i got it from .. its in my gimp .. simple and easy to use. the preview option sometimes crashes..

search for terragen. www.planetside.co.uk

its the level editor for the game planetside, but its damn good

FYI - got my hands on a trial copy of Photoshop. It does an adequate job of letting me set somewhat realistic terrain. It handles the RAW format, and had brushes for various effects - "lava", "lunar", etc. - that produce some good heightmaps.
is there a preview in 3d ??

Take a look at TerraGen. It creates heightmaps from different kind of functions (perlin, multi-perlin, etc.). You can edit the map, export it to RAW and preview in 3D. You can also add skydomes, cloud shadows, etcetera. Unfortunately there is no texture editor in it.

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Game Development][RoboBlast][Articles][GD Emporium][Webdesign][E-mail]

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

The World Machine (BETA)

http://students.washington.edu/sschmitt/world/

Its more of a combine randomly seeded things to create terrain.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement