[java] Game ideas

Started by
2 comments, last by jojor512 23 years, 10 months ago
Hello. I''m going to make my first java game this summer(besides Tic Tac Toe) and i need some ideas. I bought Java game programming for dummies, but did not find it very helpful. I''m interested in making a game like worm or nibbles, but don''t know where to start. Any suggestions? Other game ideas? Thanks! jojor512@aol.com
Advertisement
Well, one thing, don't use SWING, isn't supported by any browser at the moment. So my tip is to use AWT, even if you have to write your own function for double buffering (which isn't that tricky).

Tetris, is always a good game to start off with (I did), it includes many elements of a game. And if you are a newbie, with Tetris you don't have to deal with AI. Which in my oppinion should not be in your first game.

If you feel like doing some AI, then try PAC-MAN, there's a game that has it all. Four diffrent AIs (ghosts), a perfect maze, easy to play and addictive game play.

Anyway, of course these are only my oppinions...
-Mr K

Edited by - Mr K on June 9, 2000 8:30:20 AM
(All the following is my opinion, feel free to disregard)
Your first games should be something simple, with no AI, and no collision checking:
Tetris and worm are both excellent starters.

Second, move on to simple AI and collision checking:
breakout, pac-man, adding an oppenent to worm.

Third, try working on something with panning (scrollie):
Super Mario Bros, Defender, etc.

If you make it this far, you''ll probably have a pretty good idea where you want to go next.

The key is to do it all in small, obtainable increments. If you try and code the next big hit, you''ll find yourself running against some major challenges that will feel like 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. You''ll wind up dropping your project, and move on to another, never finishing anything. If you start small, each new game will be mostly grunt work and a few minor challenges that you will enjoy working through.

Mr. K has a great point about AWT vs. Swing. Coding in Swing may affect the market you can push your game to. Browsers can run Swing, but only with a plugin (or some serious tweaking), so this may reduce the number of people who will be able to play your game. If your really just trying to learn and your only market is your friends, I would recommend going with whatever your more interested and comfortable in. Moving from one to the other isn''t too hard after a bit of experience.

I''m seriously considering putting together a java specific tutorial, if you guys have any suggestions, I''d love to hear them.

ManaSink
I''m not sure how confortable you feel with designing games in Java, but anyway...

Another game would maybe be BREAKOUT, which skips AI, if your not having all those creatures coming out from behind the blocks like in some BREAKOUT versions. Anyway, it skips the AI but it adds some physics, bouncing the ball around. And it is a pritty fun game to play

Anyway, good luck with whatever game you decide on.

-------
Padrino
-------
-------Padrino-------

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement