Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xxx_shinobi

opengl or direct3d ???

xxx_shinobi    142
I realy want to be a game programmer, to write games for consoles(maybe also for pc, but consoles are my primer must). I''m a software engineering department student. I can choose between DIRECT3d and OPENGL courses.What shuld I choose.What extra tools do I need to know, if I want to write games for consoles ? THANKS

most consoles have their own api, altho i think the xbox api is pretty much dx while some console also has ogl, was it ps2? not sure but i dont think it matters THAT much the most important thing is that you learn how to program what api you use is more or less secondary, i happen to like ogl myself btw but im kinda anti-microsoft dx is a good api aswell, i dont think it will really matter what course you take...

- Damage Inc.

Valderman    513
If you want to code for the PS2, DirectX is out of the question. The PS2 uses its own API, but also has an implementation of OpenGL. If you want to code for the XBox, DirectX is what you want, since XBox is Microsoft all the way through.

Note that to code for the PS2 you will need Sony''s PS2 development kit, which you are _VERY_ unlikely to get your hands on, unless you go into the console game programming business.

For crying out loud, she has fishes coming out of her head on either side. How can you find this hot?!