VC++

Started by
7 comments, last by vbuser 20 years, 10 months ago
What''s current version of VC++? I''m going to buy one to learn DX programming.[Now I''m using the Dev C++]. My home system is using winXP home edition. What I need to do to doing the DX programming? And what''s difference of VC++ and VC#?They both works with DX SDK?
Please Help ME!I''m a beginner.. :P
Advertisement
You don''t have to buy VC++ if you start to learn OpenGL instead of DX, for my opinion OpenGL is much easier to learn but it is just my opinion, some prefer OpenGL some DirectX.

if you like to learn more about OpenGL visit http://nehe.gamedev.net for tutorials

C# is java like language.
And yes DX ''SDK'' works fine in both C++ and C#
I am sorry if you didn''t mean D3D by DX
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
You don''t have to buy VC++ if you start to learn OpenGL instead of DX, for my opinion OpenGL is much easier to learn but it is just my opinion, some prefer OpenGL some DirectX.

You don''t have to buy VC++ if you use DX either. And it''s NOT easier, if you have problems learning an API then you shouldn''t do programming. (the principles behind both are the same, at last they access the same hardware)
it is definitely easier. It''s a lot more immediate, and has some nice features. No rubbish pseudo-c++ interface and easier object management, the matrices stack system, the render-state stack, straight forward C interface, immediate rendering, simple windows and input interface with GLUT, multiplatform, the feedback and select modes, nice utility library, splines and tesselation. It is a much better choice in my opinion for noobies and to test stuff.

However, D3D has libraries to import bitmap textures, and 3D models. But you can find libraries on the net to do that without D3D. And with DXSDK in full debug mode, it outputs warnings to the VC6 debug window. Not sure about OGL though.

At a more advanced level, they are equivalent, and support the same features. (Doom III uses openGL, although it could use DirectX, it won''t make a difference).

for DX tutorials, see
http://www.andypike.com

for OpenGL, see
http://nehe.gamedev.net/

make up your mind.

Back on topic, the current version of VC is VC7 (called .NET for whatever reason), although VC6 is still widely used. If you are a student, you can have a student license, which makes it a very affordable option. Like for Microsoft Office. Not sure about the features supported (doubt it''s the professional version).

Also, you have Dev-C++, which is suppose to be a pretty good development platform, and it''s free.

Everything is better with Metal.

forget c#. C++ is the way to go. Go for Dx9 SDK, VC6 or .NET, that site I gave you, and you''re sorted

Also, a handy trick to debug DirectX programs in VC6 wihtout the mouse lag (a pestering bug, yet to be fixed). Set your DirectInput properties to emulation for keyboard and mouse. I think it happens when you use direct input objects in your code. When you hit a breakpoint, VC6''s inputs lag for 2-3 seconds, adn it''s damn annoying.

Everything is better with Metal.

Why shouldn''t someone do programming if he has some hard time learning an API?

I mean, I''m currently learning D3D and I must say that I find it hard to learn.

I think that If he does get problems learning either of them, he should never give up!

Do the tutorials over and over, try making something on your own with the information in the tutorials. Never to give up!

Just don''t rush into either of them, a good plan is to do one tutorial each day (assuming that you have like 5 hours of time...)

That way you learn things in a decent speed, and you actually LEARN the stuff.

Though when you get past the basic stuff, like drawing polygons, texturing, transformations, lightning... you will probably need to spend some more time on the other tutorials.

The sites you were given are amongst the best.
Yea. DX API is hard to learn.

I remember how hard when I was learning DirectDraw when I was using VB.But I finnaly can do it.

Now I found VB is too slow,so I change to C++.
Please Help ME!I''m a beginner.. :P
It is around 8 or 9. I don''t do DirectX, so I use Dev-C++. The syntax for DX is the same with optimized Dev-C++. But if you are serious about game programming, and do it for more than a hobby, VC++ is your friend. And C# is another language.

Scott Simontis
Game Programmer in Training
Have a nice day!
Current Project: Waiting for OpenGL Game Programming Book
Scott SimontisMy political blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement