Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What defines a good Website

This topic is 5318 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What defines a Good Web site? 1)Usability/ Navigation > easy and intuitive 2)Design > Must load quickly with no large graphics, clear 3) User Interface > Use technologies accessible to everyone 4) Content > Have clear and concise information I have been surfing the web for the last few hours looking at different websites.... I have to do a website and want to see what works and what doesn’t Some really colourful websites but they are not clear... some with loads of little graphics that look nice and cool but then site feels cluttered! I''ve come to the conclusion that I will keep the Website as clear as possible. Use white as the background and have a navigation bar down the right side of the page. Use very clear coloured text. But what technologies should be used? Html, java, shockwave, flash. Also I have the Adobe suite and is any of that good for web page creation?

I only use HTML and javascript. And I use Notepad to write the code

Flash tend to be slow when loading a website. No matter how colorfull and hightech the flash loader is, I think it''a anoying you have to wait until the entire site is loaded.

Java is nice for online games, but it''s kinda useless for a site.

Sorcerer

SorcSoft.com -> Homepage | Pictures | FTP Upload | Contact

I personally prefer ''clean'' (minimalistic ?) sites. In terms of technology, the less you rely on client side processing the better! CSS can be used these days to provide a lot of effects; currently I have done some stuff for a uni student website that doesn''t have one image in the basic template nor any java/javascript. If you''ve got access to it look at server side programming - such as PHP, ASP or Perl CGI - along with databases this can do some really neat, useful stuff that is independant of the user''s machine.

I am working on my first webpage at the moment. I use PHP and want to keep it all in an oldskool ascii design.

http://www.jliforum.de/hazel/

The news system already works but no content yet.

I have though about it more and i have decided to use no Flash for the main pages..

But will use it to show a Demo of what the App i''m working on can do if the viewer requests it!

I also want to provide the option to allow a file to download if the user as the rights...

I want to let the user log on on a certain part of a site then have access to the files...

I would send the user a password and user id to allow them access

What is the best way to do this...

I know a bit of HTML .. mainly a C++ programmer..
But would be prepared to learn whatever is needed to get this functionality

I prefer to offer the visiter to a site the option of viewing a highly graphical, Flash animated, slow loading version of the site or a plain jane fast loading version. The ones with high speed access can choose the Flash enabled one and enjoy all the eye candy, while a someone with a 56k connection can get all the same great info, but without the load times of graphically intense pages.

Just Smile and Nod...

quote:

I would send the user a password and user id to allow them access

What is the best way to do this...

I''m going to be told that there is a better/easier way, but php or asp are good solutions for me. You can either manually assign passwords to people who request it via email, or you can let them get instant access by using a database. This is not usually necessary unless you are charging for admittance, or want to personally inspect each person wanting access to your information. Of course simple CGI will work too, but I''m not as familiar with it as ASP and PHP.

Just Smile and Nod...

quote:
Original post by Woody FX
What defines a Good Web site?

1)Usability/ Navigation > easy and intuitive

2)Design > Must load quickly with no large graphics, clear

3) User Interface > Use technologies accessible to everyone

4) Content > Have clear and concise information

Yes, that sums it up for me... But it also depends on the site. My mom, for example, likes all the artsy fartsy graphics and widgets.

Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda

CGameProgrammer nice site... but some of the colours are not easy to see...

So i would need to use ASP, PHP or CGI.....

Ok did cgi once in college...

Have been trawling through the Web all morning looking at stuff...

Any body know any good sites for this stuff... ( Putting password protection on certain parts of sites)

For your password protected sections of the site, php would most likely be the easiest for you to learn since you are a C++ programmer. Syntax is somewhat similar.

Keep the pages small graphically. Having started in the IT industry as a web page programmer/scripter/whatever, I;d suggest either putting the navigation along the left side of the page or at the top. I'm not saying you couldn't use the right side, I'm saying the norm is the top or left side of the page.

I've used Adobe Go-Live but did not like it. I prefer Homesite and Dreamweaver for web site creation, Fireworks for graphics. All three are great tools. You can use Photoshop and optimize the graphics for the web using Image Ready since you the Adobe suite.

javascript has more use than online games. You can use ot for form validation(make sure email addresses look like email address, format phone numbers, verify someone filled in required fields), rollover effects, browser detection, etc. Take a look at javascript.Internet.Com if you need something you can't find. Good resource site for scripts.

Resource Sites:
www.devshed.com
www.mysql.com
www.php.net
www.codeproject.com
www.asp101.com

~"What''s this red button do?"

[edited by - Psyberia on May 27, 2003 6:40:55 AM]

I''ve just come across HTTP Basic Authentication.

This seems like an easy no hassel way to implement this security...

Still will keep looking into everything before i decide what could be the best way!

Brian