Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WiseElben

C# or C++?

atcdevil    145
It really doesn''t matter what you start with (at least between these two languages.) Flip a coin I guess?

Once you''re good at programming you can learn both no problem.

AsciiFish    122
C++ is the way to go. I''ve had little experience with C#, but from what I''ve heard it runs about the same speed as Java and is more cumbersome. C++ is standardized, fast, and cross platform.

MindCode    122
Beware any product by MS. They''re a tricky lot.

With that said, C++ is by far a more "standardized" language. It''s cross-platform (like I said about MS), and cross-compiler in a lot of cases. It''s also simpler I thinks. The pure OO design of things like C# or Java can get cumbersome sometimes.

BattleGuard    122
I was in the same situation as the OP. I learned C# for about 2 weeks, thinking that the code was the same exact thing in both... But alas it isn''t... So I quit C# for now and moved on to C++, some online tutorials... I already asked about this question in about three previous posts!!!

BattleGuard

Whenever I try to find a better signature than this... Well, I can''t... This is it, Sorry...

WiseElben    250
Well, like actdevil said, once you learn one of the two, it would be easy to learn the other.

In my opinion, I don''t really care about "cross-platformed" stuff, since most games PC are ONLY for Windows.

I''m also interested in Console game development. You can program PS2 games in C++ right? But PS2 uses its own API.

In XBox, you HAVE to use the .NET Framework. Well, if MS is forcing developers to use the .NET Framwork, then MS might force then to use C# when XBox 2 comes around.

As for GC, I don''t care about CG much. I guess its because CG looks so kiddish...

I''m not sure if C++ is "simpler" than C#. I always hated pointers... I had to reread the chapter on pointers 3 times. Litellary...

More opinions please.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
It all depends on what you want to do. For games and high performance apps, go for C++. For simple windows applications and tools, C# is way more productive. It''s hard to believe how fast you can code stuff in C# until you''ve tried.

WiseElben    250
Well, I guess its time to fire up VS Studio and do some "exploring" with C#.

And a comment:
Its funny how anyone can spend hours with VS Studio and will still have many features unfound. :-P

MindCode    122
It wouldnt surprise me if they made that turn though. They pull you in with a spit-n-polish product with tons of features, then the noose slowly starts to tighten around your neck. One day we''ll all be writting checks to MS for the right to develop Windows app''s.

sSimontis    100
C++. C# is not a game-friendly language. It is a language developed by Micro$oft. I don''t like it, and also, almost every programmer in the games industry uses C++, plus it has many APIs and libraries.

Scott Simontis
Game Programmer in Training
Have a nice day!
Current Project: Waiting for OpenGL Game Programming Book

alnite    3436
For some unknown reasons..I prefer Basic over C# (read: a programming language is a programming language. read docs or tuts about them and decide yourself which one is more comfortable to program in.)

thed77    133
Well, now we see people who argue that C# isn''t good because it make the program use object-oriented design. It was said that the OOP of C# would just get in the way. So you should use C++(ie C with object-oriented design concepts hacked into it.) I find that rather comical. Wasn''t C++ designed to support the OOA wave of programming? Also despite what most people think C# is a ECMA-standardized language. So it can be implemented by anyone on any platform.(Note the Mono Project @ www.go-mono.net)

But anyway on to the topic. From your post you may have a better time with C# since it does have a lot in common with Java. There are a few thing that are different in C# than in Java. For instance, you can write a simple swap(int, int) function in C# but it''s quite difficult to do in Java.

Now your Java teacher may very well be an avid Java supporter therefore his opinion may be bias. You see MS and Sun had a tiff about MS implementation of Java. It was right around the time that MS was about to be sue for violation of antitrust laws. So my advice to you really is to do your own research. Asking others fro an answer to this question only incites flames and random generalization. So just see for yourself.

nodeg    124
The biggest disadvantage with C# as I understand it is that it, like java, is an interpretted language. This does not mean you can''t make games... but it does mean that they won''t be as fast as a c++ version. My biggest problem with c# is that it''s not cross platform. I''m sure it''s very effective at writing windows apps though. There is actually a c# 3d engine out there that is open source.

BattleGuard    122
Well, it would actually also depend on if the guy has VS .net... That is unless there are free compilers out there support C#, are there???

If you just want to give C# a try, and you dont have VS.net dont bother buying it... For game-programming it is kind of not so useful, I have tried it... And if you learn C# and C++, it has some same and some different concepts... So you might get confused...

BattleGuard

Whenever I try to find a better signature than this... Well, I can''t... This is it, Sorry...

Martee    476
quote:
Original post by nodeg
My biggest problem with c# is that it''s not cross platform.

Actually ....
quote:
Original post by BattleGuard
That is unless there are free compilers out there support C#

The .NET Framework SDK includes a C# compiler. There''s also Rotor, Mono, and Portable .NET (all of which are cross-platform, incidentally).

Arild Fines    968
quote:
Original post by nodeg
The biggest disadvantage with C# as I understand it is that it, like java, is an interpretted language.

Neither C# nor Java(anymore) are interpreted languages.

AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.

Arild Fines    968
quote:
Original post by MindCode
With that said, C++ is by far a more "standardized" language.

How do you define levels of standardization? Adherence to the standard? In that case C++ loses, since there are virtually no compilers out there supporting the whole standard. Or maybe it''s the physical SIZE of the standard? I can see how C++ would win that way....
quote:

It''s cross-platform (like I said about MS), and cross-compiler in a lot of cases.

Yes, that is a common misconception. The Mozilla project has a set of guidelines for C++ code to ensure that their code is portable across platforms. These guidelines include:

* Don''t use C++ templates.
* Don''t use exceptions.
* Don''t use namespace facility.
* Don''t use Run-time Type Information.
* Use macros for C++ style casts(since not all compilers support them).

The whole list can be found at http://www.mozilla.org/hacking/portable-cpp.html
quote:

It''s also simpler I thinks.

No.

xxx_shinobi    142
If you are a beginner , better start with C or pascal.When you will gain understending(at least half year of programming) , switch to OOD language (I meen c++).