C# or C++?

Started by
34 comments, last by WiseElben 20 years, 10 months ago
Here is the question.
Advertisement
It really doesn''t matter what you start with (at least between these two languages.) Flip a coin I guess?

Once you''re good at programming you can learn both no problem.
C++ is the way to go. I''ve had little experience with C#, but from what I''ve heard it runs about the same speed as Java and is more cumbersome. C++ is standardized, fast, and cross platform.
/*Joe DiMichele C/C++/VB Programmer, A+ Certified Technician AIM:Krawling Khaos, ICQ:332871787 joedimichele@hotmail.com oderint dum metuantExcuse my spelling, programmers can't spel*/
Beware any product by MS. They''re a tricky lot.

With that said, C++ is by far a more "standardized" language. It''s cross-platform (like I said about MS), and cross-compiler in a lot of cases. It''s also simpler I thinks. The pure OO design of things like C# or Java can get cumbersome sometimes.
That's just my understanding; I could be wrong.
I was in the same situation as the OP. I learned C# for about 2 weeks, thinking that the code was the same exact thing in both... But alas it isn''t... So I quit C# for now and moved on to C++, some online tutorials... I already asked about this question in about three previous posts!!!

BattleGuard

Whenever I try to find a better signature than this... Well, I can''t... This is it, Sorry...
Well, like actdevil said, once you learn one of the two, it would be easy to learn the other.

In my opinion, I don''t really care about "cross-platformed" stuff, since most games PC are ONLY for Windows.

I''m also interested in Console game development. You can program PS2 games in C++ right? But PS2 uses its own API.

In XBox, you HAVE to use the .NET Framework. Well, if MS is forcing developers to use the .NET Framwork, then MS might force then to use C# when XBox 2 comes around.

As for GC, I don''t care about CG much. I guess its because CG looks so kiddish...

I''m not sure if C++ is "simpler" than C#. I always hated pointers... I had to reread the chapter on pointers 3 times. Litellary...

More opinions please.
It all depends on what you want to do. For games and high performance apps, go for C++. For simple windows applications and tools, C# is way more productive. It''s hard to believe how fast you can code stuff in C# until you''ve tried.
quote:Original post by WiseElben
In XBox, you HAVE to use the .NET Framework.

O__O

Is that a joke?
Well, I guess its time to fire up VS Studio and do some "exploring" with C#.

And a comment:
Its funny how anyone can spend hours with VS Studio and will still have many features unfound. :-P
quote:
Is that a joke?

Thats what I heard...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement