Methods for scanning the local net

Started by
2 comments, last by cbenoi1 20 years, 11 months ago
I'm currently sending NetBIOS datagram commands to all the potential machines on the local subnet (i.e. to 'X.Y.Z.*') and monitoring the incoming responses to find out the valid IPs and names of the computers connected. It works, but it smells like an ugly hack since it probaly won't list *nix machines as well (unless they run Samba?), or worse: be equated to a virus or intruding attacker. Are there sureshot methods for finding all the machines on the local net other than this method? Thanks. -cb [edited by - cbenoi1 on May 26, 2003 3:55:43 PM]
Advertisement
If you''re looking to do this to find a specific service, you''re on the right track.

If you want to just do a network discovery, also on the right track -).

Take a look at www.nmap.org. If you just need a tool to find machines on your network, it''s probably one of the better ones. If you want to make your own, it''s Open Source.

Interim
> If you want to just do a network discovery

I can assure you my intentions are pure... {eyes looking up, whistling, fingers crossed}

Thanks for the link.

-cb
Actually, I don''t mind people who right vulnerability exploits. I hate people who hide them. =) Security through Obscurity is just a delay effect and usually lets the good crackers run rampant through otherwise secure networks while vendors hide the problems.

Nmap is designed to do discovery probing, whether you use that for good or for ill is upto you =).

It''s a great tool, I find it extremely useful on my test networks since I don''t control all the machines and often need to find vulnerable or even just unexpected services.

Plus, it''s fun.

Interim =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement