Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JimboC

Coding Level Design

I''ve been wrestling with coding level design for a couple of weeks now. I''ve read everything I can find on the net about .BSP trees, but most tutorials seem to be written for people who already know everything about them or they go through the theory and stop. I think I''ve got a pretty good understanding as to the theory of .bsp trees, but I can''t seem to get get my head around how they can be used to increase rendering speed. Can anyone point me to a tutorial that explains how to use a .BSP tree for rendering, collision detection, etc. Even better would be a book that covers .BSP trees as part of a demo game or something. It feels like I''m so close, but just going in circles.

Guest Anonymous Poster
BSP trees help with rendering speed because they allow you to quickly sort the faces of polygons in back-to-front order from any given node.

Plus there are multiple different ways of calculating the visible polygons in a BSP tree based on which node you are in.

BSP trees are useful for things like collison detection because you can quickly cut down the number of polygons required to test collisons on due to the nature of binary trees.

As for tutorials:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/bsptree/bsp.pdf

By far the most useful and informative article i have found on BSP trees, pusedo code is used, and the theory is covered in detail. Plus there is plenty of room left for additions and optimisations, so you dont feel like you are just ripping someones code.

Hope that helps

I just skimmed the article, but it seems like that''s exactly what I was looking for. I don''t know how I missed that one - and on GameDev to boot.

Thanks a million. And all the remaining hair I have thanks you.