Projective Textures, Shadows? how?

Started by
5 comments, last by Xero-X2 20 years, 11 months ago
Ok I have a kind of map. that I want shadowed. the main problem was that i didn''t consider shadowing earier. (big mistake) anyway when looking over ways to do it, I considered what I did in the past. Sloap Terrain light - almost but not quite. Shadow volumes, hard to get silloett, then I saw The new Shadow projections that I have seen. But I have never used these or projective textures, nor have I done this type of shadowing. Could someone spare a moment and point out how to do this. thanks. sorry for any Typos, Im in a bit of a rush to type this out.
"I seek knowledge and to help those who also seek it"
Advertisement
its similar to lightmaps, search for projective texturing, and project a white bitmap from your sun, it''ll show up as shadows.
Ok I looked it up and after a long time of messing with it, I got it to project some screen shot of my game onto my ground, just for the moment at least. But it ends up tiled strangly and dosn''t quite look how I would have planed, but thats ok for the moment, I guess its just because My Camera Dosn''t see all of the ground, I''ll fix that next when I can. But before I do that, I''ll ask this question,

Shadowing, I don''t see how projecting a white bitmap will get me anywhere, All im going to get is a totally white ground, Correct? there needs to be some kind of depth interaction or something dosn''t there?

Could some one enlighten me furture on this subject?
look into GL_ARB_shadow its real easy
there is a delphi demo on delphi3d.net

check out my thread GL_ARB_shadow its in this opengl forum
"I am a donut! Ask not how many tris/batch, but rather how many batches/frame!" -- Matthias Wloka & Richard Huddy, (GDC, DirectX 9 Performance)

http://www.silvermace.com/ -- My personal website
Ok I looked it over at Delphi3d and I have come to the conclustion that their method is not quite what I expected, They just use a white textuer with a black teapot rendared into it, I thought you could render a depth buffer of some kind into a texture and use that compared to the projection values, and that could be used to generate the shadows. I came to this conclusion after reading some stuff from nvidia, and after seeing their demos.

is there a way to do this, because I don''t have any Specifed Shadow Casters. I have one Shadow Caster One Shadow Reciver. Meaning Its a kind of terrain, but its not a Height map.

Thanks.
The white texture and black teapot was probably the depthbuffer.. (not a caster + reciever). This technique should work nice on your landscape.

He does use caster-reciver, he draws the Teapot in black and the rest of the screen in white, then projects this onto the reciver to create a shadow of the teapot.

...procedure TPSForm.UpdateShadow;begin  // Set a square viewport for the texture:  glViewport(0, 0, S_SIZE, S_SIZE);  glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);  glLoadIdentity;  gluPerspective(90, 1, 1, 1000);  glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);  // Render the teapot black-on-white:  glDisable(GL_LIGHTING);  glColor3f(0, 0, 0);  glClearColor(1, 1, 1, 1);  glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT or GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);  glLoadIdentity;  gluLookAt(LCF_O.x, LCF_O.y, LCF_O.z,            LCF_Z.x, LCF_Z.y, LCF_Z.z,            LCF_Y.x, LCF_Y.y, LCF_Y.z);  DrawTeapot;  glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, shadow);  glCopyTexSubImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, S_SIZE, S_SIZE);  // Re-enable regular lighting:  glEnable(GL_LIGHTING);  glColor3f(1, 1, 1);  glClearColor(0, 0, 0, 1);  // Reset view:  glViewport(0, 0, ClientWidth, ClientHeight);  glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);  glLoadIdentity;  gluPerspective(60, ClientWidth/ClientHeight, 1, 1000);  glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);end;...  

I currently only know how to use Projective textures. Could someone help me with how I would use an image from the depthbuffer of my camera to create Shadows?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement