Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lisp question

This topic is 5317 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What exactly is wrong with this function...

(defun sumlist (lst)
       (remove nil lst)
       (mapcar #''+ lst))

I''m really at a loss in terms of using the provided debugger/tracing etc as yet in the LispWorks Personal software so I thought I''d toy about a bit with the simpler things first and get comfortable with it. In the event it doesn''t make much sense I''m trying to return the sum of numeric elements in a list. Thanks much in advance.

You're trying to program imperatively. Don't. Very few Lisp functions actually modify their arguments, because that is a no-no in functional programming.

(defun sumlist (lst)
(mapcar #'+ (remove nil lst)))

Just so you know, that code only removes nils, not all non-numerical elements in the list.

You can get the results you need with remove-if, numberp, and complement. Have fun. ^_^

[edited by - micepick on May 26, 2003 5:45:03 PM]

quote:
Original post by micepick
You''re trying to program imperatively. Don''t. Very few Lisp functions actually modify their arguments, because that is a no-no in functional programming.

I think my biggest stumbling block so far, as I''ve only been doing this for a few hours now is trying to equate things in a C(++)/Java etc fashion which really just doesn''t work.

quote:
(defun sumlist (lst)
(mapcar #''+ (remove nil lst)))

Thanks!
quote:
Just so you know, that code only removes nils, not all non-numerical elements in the list.

Yeah I realized as much. I''m just working with available code snippets from ANSI Common Lisp to get a better feel for this "lisp" mystery. Thanks again and I''m sure I''ll have some more obvious questions soon enough. Cheers.

Hmmm...

CL-USER 1 > (defun sumlist (lst)
(mapcar #''+ (remove nil lst)))
SUMLIST

CL-USER 2 > (sumlist ''(1 2))
(1 2)

CL-USER 3 >

I could''ve sworn that worked two days ago...

... Don't know what to tell you. Try making one that actually sums numerical elements. It might work better.

EDIT: Wait, what am I thinking, of course that won't work! I must have been high when I was helping you.

Explanation: mapcar applies a function that takes one argument (try evaluating (+ 1)) to each element of the list consecutively. That's obviously not what you need: You need a function that takes elements of the list two at a time and feeds them to a function that collapses them to one. The function you need is reduce.

[edited by - micepick on May 29, 2003 10:23:42 PM]

Anyway, sorry for the confusion! In case you're not clear on what reduce does, I wrote a simple implementation for you:

(defun reduce (func lst)
(if (= (length lst) 1) ; if there's only one element
(car lst) ; just return it
(funcall func (car lst) (reduce func (cdr lst))))) ; otherwise, recurse and reduce

Is that clear?

The great thing about Lisp is, you can implement most of its functions yourself in a couple of lines of code.

[edited by - micepick on May 29, 2003 10:33:21 PM]

Hey look at me I'm smart. Anyway, apply works Sorry for wasting your time once again!
Edit: ah, and thanks for that as well, I'm trying to still get over the c mentality which doesn't seem to want to go away.
quote:
The great thing about Lisp is, you can implement most of its functions yourself in a couple of lines of code.

I have noticed that and I like the possibilities it offers.

[edited by - kordova on May 29, 2003 10:36:08 PM]

Yeah, apply is fine too, since + takes any number of arguments.

(apply #'+ '(1 2 3))

is equivalent to

(+ 1 2 3)

is equivalent to

(funcall #'+ 1 2 3)

Enjoying yourself?

[edited by - micepick on May 29, 2003 10:36:54 PM]