What other areas of programming can I look into?

Started by
12 comments, last by Russell 20 years, 10 months ago
The only reason I ever started programming was because I loved making games, and 4 years on I'm starting a computer science degree and am starting to think about what I really want to do with my life... I've looked into games programming and like to think I have a good idea of what the industry is like and quite frankly the whole idea doesn't seem too appealing anymore, and am starting to think about research or a career in industry, but since I've never done anything other then games programming I'm really not sure what research would be like. I am however absolutely certain that I'd rather work in McDonalds then become just another battery hen programmer working on boring databases and stuff, as I just hate stuff like that, there's no satisfaction in them like there is in getting proper jumping physics in a game for the first time, in succesfully implementing AI in your game for the first time, in seeing a spinning cube onscreen for the first time, in creating a 3D terrain for the first time. I've had to make use of database systems for my A-level computing (that's high school for you americans) in Visual Basic and I really don't want to be the guy who builds the customer ordering system for Homebase (large UK DIY store). Thanks for your time. [edited by - Kyo on May 26, 2003 7:55:24 PM]
Advertisement
Those databases are boring, but that is where the money is. Get the code monkey job with the good pay and do game dev as a hobby. It works great for me.
Yeah, and database work also eventually turns into maintenance work when the system workers don''t have a clue of what''s going on. I think the database developer with a hobby of games development sounds attractive as there would be (almost) no tight time schedules. I''m currently in the same situation as you taking a computer programming course in a College (2nd year).

Rob Loach
Current Project: Go Through Object-Oriented Programming in C++ by Robert Lafore

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
There are different areas of DB development. Front end development is probably the most appealing and boring. Any deeper than that and database becomes a part of your life.
Embedded systems! YAY! thats what I hope to do, I start my degree next year... should be 1337... maybe I can get a job programming tanks and such ^_^

MasterDepot
[email=esheppard@gmail.com]esheppard@gmail.com[/email]
There''s always room for more compiler writers.
DIY == Home Improvement
quote:Original post by Kyo
I am however absolutely certain that I''d rather work in McDonalds then become just another battery hen programmer working on boring databases and stuff, as I just hate stuff like that, (......)

I had the same problem, when i started my computer science degree i quickly realized that it *sucked ass*...

On the very first day of class i saw this vision of me, 4 years from now, programming databases (read: dumping buttons on a Visual Basic form and putting sql queries behind ''em) or writing software that makes the conveyer belt at a meat proccesing-plant runs as efficiently as possible. Those visions got worse and worse over the next six months... ...so i dropped out

I''m going back to school in september....
--------<a href="http://www.icarusindie.com/rpc>Reverse Pop Culture
quote:
or writing software that makes the conveyer belt at a meat proccesing-plant runs as efficiently as possible. Those visions got worse and worse over the next six months... ...so i dropped out

Someones gotta make them burgers for Kyo to flip

Seriously, most jobs are boring some of the time, but if you like making games, do you think that you would still enjoy it if you had to do it for a living, with all the pressure and politics that goes with it ?
If it was up to me, I''d take the DB job for the money, and stick with game dev as a hobby.

But then it''s not up to me

Bp.

[edited by - pkelly83 on May 28, 2003 4:26:23 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement