Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

haro

Acquiring DirectInput with a Console Application

haro    502
Is it possible to associate DirectInput with a console application? I am using GetConsoleWindow() and GetModuleHandle() to get the window''s handle and the app''s instance, which should be enough to acquire a Direct Input device for the console window. However, when I attemp to acquire the device for the first time I am unable to access it. This doesn''t seem to make much sense. Is there any specific reason MS prevents you from using DirectInput with console windows, or am I blundering somewhere? Thanks alot.

haro    502
Everything works fine, I get the handle to the window from GetConsoleWindow() and I get instance from GetModuleHandle(NULL). The only problem is that the call to Acquire() fails and always fails.

chase_encode    122
Did you try background non-exclusive?
When are you trying to acquire? The only time I acquire is when an update fails. This way, I know I have an active window.

haro    502
WOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! =)

It was as trivial as changing the mode from FOREGROUND to BACKGROUND!!!! This makes my console programming about 10billion times easier since I can now treat it exactly as I treat window apps with my engine...

I was dreading having to rewrite an entire input subsystem using the nasty peek/constant buffered standard crap. Thanks a whole lot for the help.

As it goes, its always the little things that kill.