VC++ .NET compatability issues

Started by
5 comments, last by Death Hamster 20 years, 10 months ago
I have created a game using Visual C++ .NET and am testing it out on computors/OS''s other than the one I created it on. While it works perfectly on the Win2k OS it was created on any attempt to run it on the 98 OS that my computor duel boots on produces an Error: "A required .DLL file, MSCOREE.DLL, was not found" When I copy this MSCOREE.DLL ont the 98 system32 file it tells me that something does not point to the .NET Frame Work install Location. Even when I set VC++ to release mode it does this. What is the point of releasing something if it only runs on your computor?
Programming is like dancing through landmines:The programmer is the choreographer, the computer is the dancer and when an error occurs something blows up.
Advertisement
Do you have the .Net framework installed on your Windows 98 partition?
"...."
Also, are you actually using the .NET Framework?
daerid@gmail.com
You''ve got to make sure that any DLLs you use that aren''t standard on every Windows install get redistributed with your game/app if you want it to run on all systems. This isn''t something that is new to Visual Studio .NET, it has always been this way. Dealing with issues like this is the primary reason people use installer programs like InstallShield, etc, rather than making their own.
That file is part of the .NET framework and can't be installed without the rest of the framework. Just install the framework on the 98 machine and it should work.

It shouldn't require the .NET framework for just a visual c++ project though, make sure you don't have it set to use it somewhere.

[edited by - cavemanbob on May 26, 2003 9:52:50 PM]
To answer the first response No I have VC++ .net installed on the Win 2000 and I am using the 98 which does not have VC++ installed to test for compatability.

Seccond I am pretty sure I am not using the .NET framework unless VC++ tried to sneak it in when I wasn''t looking. I am using win32 code I learned form a tutorial plus a lot of OpenGL.

I''ll am looking in to the Install Shield idea.

I didn''t know I could install the .NET framework on a 98 machine infact that is the sole reason I have 2000 installed so I could install and run VC++. In any event I don''t want to force potential players to install the .NET Framework unless it is nonintrusive and easy.
Programming is like dancing through landmines:The programmer is the choreographer, the computer is the dancer and when an error occurs something blows up.
Check your project settings. You could have unwittingly started on a managed C++ project instead of a Win32 C++ project.
daerid@gmail.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement