Simple Game Idea - NEED INPUT

Started by
7 comments, last by nickmerritt 20 years, 10 months ago
I'm am currently in the progress of designing a game and assembling a team. This is my first project with other people so I'm am starting with a simple game design. A puzzle/arcade style game. It is a top down side scrolling game in which you control a "hover ship" and go around collecting "gems/eggs/whatever". There are gates which when you fly over toggle and/or blocks that you push. Also there are AI or Human players also trying to get"eggs" so you can steal from them or get your own. The human players would be accomplished with a split screen(maybe) or LAN/Internet(very big maybe) I'm quite flexible about the game design and hope it will evolve from what I have though about. I need ideas for little puzzles that are can be solved quickly and with out clicking on thinks. Like pushing things and runing over switches ect.. Any ideas/input? Nick [edited by - nickmerritt on May 26, 2003 10:50:59 PM]
Nick
Advertisement
The thing you have to ask yourself is ''How is this game differnt from anything else''? Pong was simple, but origonal. How about having it that when you get 5 eggs you must fly back to a drop-zone, in which they are traded for points. The trick is that the longer you fly with the eggs, or do drastic things like fly around the other player without shooting with 5 eggs atatched you get more points when you drop them off (combos are possible). If you are destroyed you loose the eggs you are carrying but retain your score. First to 20 wins.
nickmerritt-

I''m not at the point of working in a team yet. But I would like to say that you are taking a very mature attitude to putting together a team and I hope it all goes well for you. There are too many people out there jumping for the stars who will get bored and move on to other things as they aren''t getting the results they want. Good luck

Doolwind
Thank you all. I think about that idea of draging the eggs around, that would pretty neat, teasing your enemies by flying past them and then geting points for it.
Thanks,
Nick
Nick
I would also like to commend you for being realistic.

Have you ever played Diddy Kong Racing for the N64? One of their multiplayer minigames sounds vaguely similar to what I''m picturing you have planned. It takes place in a volcano, and each player (4 of them) has an airplane and a ledge high above the ground with a nest in it that serves as their ''base''. In the middle of the volcano is a dinosaur nest. Eggs appear in the dinosaur nest every few seconds. The object of the game is to take eggs out of the central nest with your plane and bring them back to your little nest on the ledge. After about a minute or so the egg hatches. The goal is to have 3 eggs hatch in your nest.

Before the eggs hatch, they are vulnerable and can be stolen by other players and brought to their own nest. You can use missles to shoot at other planes, which causes them to drop the egg they are carrying.

This is a pretty interesting game, although it gets very boring after a while because there isn''t much to do and each game is too short. You might be able to scrap some ideas out of it and use it in your own however.
Yeah, I played that game a few times. I was trying to remember what is was called. Also I didn''t remember what the missles did. Also you are completly right about not being able to much. Mine will be 2D and hopefully little puzzles to make it more interesting. Thanks.
I am thinking about upgradable craft(maybe weapons to go along with booleans idea) which would make really good "rewards". Also I''m trying to find a way to make short, fast, and resetable puzzles. The hard part about that is I don''t want it to become to hard to code. Adding level varibles and such would make it more difficult to code and design levels.(i hate that in RPG maker, the dumd varibles and switches.) I was thinking more on the line of simple "puzzle elements(that is like gates, teleporters anything simple to code ect..) that would fit together to make alot of fun puzzles but I don''t want a scripting system with varibles and such. I was thinking that maybe two "dimisions" where you can teleport from one to the other, kinda like Zelda:Link to the past. Simplisty is the goal!(with lots of fun gameplay!)
Nick
For your "simple" puzzles in a 2d maze-type environment, I would think an old friend of mine might be a friend of yours- a 2d integer array. Put simple if/then relationships into the code- if you fly over a space 21 (blank space turns to wall), the map value changes to 50 (solid space). I think there was something similar I played some time ago. "Kevin''s Adventure" or something like that. Get colored keys to unlock colored doors.. that kind of thing.
--------------------------~The Feature Creep of the Family~
Hello, I played a very old game called be-ball. I played it on PC Engine (if you know what it is). In each level, there are:
- The arena which is based on a 2D grid, with walls. Movement is continuous (you can be in between two cells, but the walls itselfes are aligned. You can also walk diagonally, be the arena is set up such that that situation doesn't occur)
- Four colored balls (blue, red, green and black)
- Four colored pads. When all the ball of the same color is returned to the pads the level is completed
- Enemys (monsters) that try to catch you, with different abilities such as stealing balls, freezing balls, rushing into you
- You, who can roll the ball, and kick it (your only "weapon") to attack the enemy. After the ball hits a wall or an enemy it bounces back according to its momentum. Some enemies can catch the ball you kick if it is facing it.
- If you kick a ball to a wall, you can damage it and ultimately clear it. You need the space of two cells in front of the wall to do so (one for yourself and one for the ball)
- Special items: Earthquake that damages all walls, and fireball that removes all enemies.
- Defeated enemy respawn after some time, there are four enemies on screen
- In multiplayer (supported two), both players appear on the same screen and cooperate.
- The puzzle element involve the initial placements of the balls, they may be scrambled, and you must put them back in order (sokoban)
- Mobility: In the game, you can roll the ball backwards, and do "L" turns.

Beball Screenshots
Description

[edited by - Estok on May 28, 2003 1:18:19 AM]
Thanks all,
I''ll see what ideas I can come up with a post them later. That togle switch with the 2D array would be neat, but I could put the data right in the level file.
Nick
Nick

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement