Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What functions for saving and loading?

This topic is 5320 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What C++ functions should I use to save my map data? I want to isolate all my save/load operations in a file manager object so I can switch from multiple files to one big file later with out the rest of the engine knowing. I have read an article that recommended write() and read() but then i read in another forum that those functions were not safe to use. Anyone have a better suggestion? How should i structure my file mananager? Clarification: What i have been doing is taking the structures (struct MapData, struct Tile, etc...) and using "out.write( (char*) &TheTile, sizeof(TheTile))" to put them into a file. I have however heard that variables can be of different sizes on different systems (I am not certain what is meant by this). Will this cause difficulty later? Is there a better or easier way to save this map data? What if later I wanted to stick all my maps and other data into a single file? I wanted to make FileManager class accessable through functions that acted like write and read and so that the manager would slap a header on the chunk of data and put it into a single file without the other objects knowing. Would this work? Am I forgetting anything that might cause problems later? [edited by - ReaperX on May 27, 2003 9:49:49 AM] [edited by - ReaperX on May 27, 2003 9:50:36 AM]

for C++ you should use the ofstream and ifstream for saving and loading

ofstream ofs;
ofs.open("File.txt");
ofs<<"Writing to the file!"<ofs.close();

ifstream ifs;
ifs.open("File.txt");
int n;
ifs>>n;
cout<<"Read in "<ifs.close;

there you go!

Guest Anonymous Poster
If you are using a binary data format for your map, you should use the read and write functions of the std::ifstream and std::ofstream, like this...

#include <fstream>

char Buffer[100];
std::ifstream In( "<SOMEFILE>", std::ios::binary );
In.read( Buffer, 99 );

//and to write the buffer ...
std::ofstream Out( "<SOMEFILE>", std::ios::binary );
Out.write( Buffer, 99 );

Of course, you can use the C library functions fopen, fread, and fwrite as well