Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

InsaDe

3D Engine

Can you advice to use some cool finished 3DEngine for games? And what your opinion about this: use ready or create own? -------------------------- Free your imagination...

Hi,

I think that In all cases (except when you don''t have the time) it is better to create your own 3d engine. Why? Because most of the times there are some features of the engine you won''t need... you can always change the engine... but I think that''s more confusing... Plus, you learn much more

Hasta

What you think about Torque Engine from GarageGames?

--------------------------
Free your imagination...

If you really don''t want to create your own, and don''t know where to spend your money... sure! why not?

I personally prefer making your own engine, because that''s the best way to learn things. And that''s the goal, isn''t it?

"My basic needs in life are food, love and a C++ compiler"
[Project AlterNova] [Novanet]

I like Ogre

The question should be this....

Do you like designing games and doing artwork, or do you like programming games?

If you enjoy programming more, then you should create your own engine. If you prefer to get things done, and just wanna design games, you''ll push out more games if you use an existing engine...At the cost of some flexibility

quote:
Original post by Captain Goatse
Doom III
lol, but I''m not sure InsaDe has $300,000 to throw around.

quote:
Original post by InsaDe
And what your opinion about this: use ready or create own?

Well, for me, it''s create your own. I want to be a core technologies programmer (designing/creating engines, etc.), so designing/creating engines is good practice. There are different conditions for writing your own engine, or using a ready-made one. If you have a burning idea for a game, and want to get started on it without having to write an engine yourself, then you want a ready-made one. However, if you want your game to run on your code (or you''re a control freak, like me ), then creating your own engine from scratch is the answer...

Coding Stuff ->  [ iNsAn1tY Games | DarkVertex | How To Do CSG | Direct3D Vs. OpenGL | Google ]
Fun Stuff    ->  [ Evil T-Shirts | Stick-Based Comedy | You''re Already Here | The Best Film Reviews ]

Yes, money for Doom3 engine I haven't (yet )

Thanks to all for your viewpoints.

But topic is not closed
I want to listen more...

Free your imagination...

[edited by - InsaDe on May 28, 2003 9:50:41 AM]

"lol, but I''m not sure InsaDe has $300,000 to throw around." Is that go market cost of doom 3 i was under the impression it will be subtantually more ( also depending on if id gets royalties per copy of game sold)

2walrus: I think it was just a joke.
Main idea is that $300000 is VERY much

Free your imagination...

We license the VTales engine, if you are interested

But seriously, both Torque and Ogre are nice. If haven''t yet tried any of them in a project, but both SDKs/APIs seem fairly complete. The Torque engine is also widely used commercially, so you can probably rely on the stability and support (if you buy it, something like $100, iirc).

But there are tons of other free 3D engine available, just search around a little. I think the idea of starting 3D game programming with a third party engine is not that bad, actually. Because if you do, you will directly be put in touch with a professional API interface. If later on, you write your own engine, you''ll better know how to organize subsystems and interfaces, as you can use your experiences with other engines (positive and negative ones).

It is pleasant to hear such competent answers.
Thanks to Yann L.

It is very interesting to listen ideas both skilled - from beginners and advanced developers...

Free your imagination...

quote:
Original post by PhiberOptic
Check out the Doom II.. all source is free and released..

You meant Quake 2 didn''t you ?

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

quote:
Original post by InsaDe
2walrus: I think it was just a joke.
Main idea is that $300000 is VERY much

Free your imagination...

I gotta stop posting before i have my morning coffee