• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

InsaDe

3D Engine

This topic is 5534 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can you advice to use some cool finished 3DEngine for games? And what your opinion about this: use ready or create own? -------------------------- Free your imagination...

Advertisement
Hi,

I think that In all cases (except when you don''t have the time) it is better to create your own 3d engine. Why? Because most of the times there are some features of the engine you won''t need... you can always change the engine... but I think that''s more confusing... Plus, you learn much more

Hasta

What you think about Torque Engine from GarageGames?

--------------------------
Free your imagination...

If you really don''t want to create your own, and don''t know where to spend your money... sure! why not?

I personally prefer making your own engine, because that''s the best way to learn things. And that''s the goal, isn''t it?

"My basic needs in life are food, love and a C++ compiler"
[Project AlterNova] [Novanet]

I like Ogre

The question should be this....

Do you like designing games and doing artwork, or do you like programming games?

If you enjoy programming more, then you should create your own engine. If you prefer to get things done, and just wanna design games, you''ll push out more games if you use an existing engine...At the cost of some flexibility

quote:
Original post by Captain Goatse
Doom III
lol, but I''m not sure InsaDe has $300,000 to throw around.

quote:
Original post by InsaDe
And what your opinion about this: use ready or create own?

Well, for me, it''s create your own. I want to be a core technologies programmer (designing/creating engines, etc.), so designing/creating engines is good practice. There are different conditions for writing your own engine, or using a ready-made one. If you have a burning idea for a game, and want to get started on it without having to write an engine yourself, then you want a ready-made one. However, if you want your game to run on your code (or you''re a control freak, like me ), then creating your own engine from scratch is the answer...

Coding Stuff ->  [ iNsAn1tY Games | DarkVertex | How To Do CSG | Direct3D Vs. OpenGL | Google ]
Fun Stuff    ->  [ Evil T-Shirts | Stick-Based Comedy | You''re Already Here | The Best Film Reviews ]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!