What engine does halflife, quake2, and unreal use?

Started by
20 comments, last by flypp3r 20 years, 10 months ago
quote:Original post by Extrarius
As people have said, Valve made EXTREME changes to the engine to improve it in many, many ways. They moved it from palettized color(8 bit) to 16/32 bit color, created much improved AI, implemented client side prediction, improved the network code, added skeletal animation, added weapon decals(at least iirc Q1/2 didn''t have bullet decals etc), and probably a few other things I forgot. I''d also say making the SDK C++ was a big change as well (quake 1 used a custom scripting langauge that sucked even according to id, and iirc quake 2 used a C-based DLL).

Much of the AI is in the game DLL (and therefore is not part of the engine). And I should know, I''m trying to rewrite the original Marine AI to be more devious. It is true, though, that the AI ''schedule'' system is more or less contained within the engine, and Quake1/2 didn''t have a general-purpose AI engine.

Q2 does indeed use a C-language DLL, which is a pain to navigate, relying on prefixes to function names (which are often unclear) and file grouping to group functionality. Valve''s move to C++ is, I think, one of the big things that made the game''s mod scene so successful. Modders didn''t have to learn a new language (which they may have done if Valve had used a scripting language), and had enough power they they could link into other things (like the mods which include in-game MP3 players, or can load up other mods and ''layer'' between them (bots are a prime example) ).

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
Unreal Warfare is a different name for the U2 and UT2003/2004 Engine, and I think that Unreal Warfare may be a game in development, but im not entirely sure. If you look at the version number on the patches for all the Unreal Engine games, you''ll see that they dont overlap, and they tell you what version the engine, is, not the game. Although each game does modify the engine slightly, it is still Unreal Engine.

Unreal & Return to Na Pali: 226b
Unreal Tournament: 436 (You can get a 451 patch from www.utpg.org)
Unreal II: 2001 (latest)
Unreal Tounament 2003: 2225 (latest)
Unreal Tounament 2004: Probably about 2300

UTPG has obtained the UT source code from Epic, and with Epics blessing, continues to modify and patch UT.

Also, the Quake Engine and Unreal Engines are fundamentaly different. Quake is a Brush based editing system, and Unreal is a Constructive Solid Geometry based system. One is starting with a void (Quake), and the other is starting with a huge block of clay, and cutting what you want out of it (Unreal). For more information, go to
http://unreal.gamedesign.net/articles/mtc.html
It''s a website called Wolf''s Unreal, and the article is about changing from Quake editing to Unreal. The article says Q2, but Q3 didn''t change. So, happy gaming.

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.
- Sieze the present day, trusting the morrow as little as may be.
- Horace

He who fights with monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
- Friedrich Nietzche
Registered Linux User #309023counter.li.orgAfterHost.net -- Quality Hosting Solutions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement