What engine does halflife, quake2, and unreal use?

Started by
20 comments, last by flypp3r 20 years, 11 months ago
someone told me they all use the same general engine? which do they use?
Advertisement
quake 3 arena: quake 3 engine
half-life: half-life engine (I heard it''s the quake 2 engine, heavily modified)

... but don''t quote me on this
I thought Unreal used its own engine. But yes, Half Life is based on a modified version of Quake 2''s engine.
Hello,

Id Software develops the famous Quake/Doom engines, which are then sold to game developers. Half-Life uses a heavily modified Quake 2 engine, there are other famous games that use this engine aswell. If I'm not mistaken Epic games develops the Unreal Engines, lately the Unreal Warfare Engine and they also sell it to game developers. Rainbow Six 3 - Raven Shield is build upon an early build of this engine and so is Americas Army, though they updated the engine build in a patch. There are alot of other companies making engines, a one that pops in to my mind is the crytek-engine. It's really cool i think, look at it here: www.crytek.de (available in english also).

Regards,
Deficte

[edited by - Deficite on May 27, 2003 9:08:32 AM]
Regards,
Deficte
Half-life uses a modified Quake engine, not Quake 2
It seems you guys don''t know a lot of things.Well i''m here to tell you the stuff.First Quake3,Quake2,Quake1,Unreal use it''s own engines.The Unreal series use identical version(modified each time new game must come out) and it''s called "Unreal Warfare".ID software is writing a new engine each time they make a game.For John Carmack this damn easy.And for Half-Life...the truth might sound a little weird but Half-Life doesn''t used modified Quake2 system at all!!!!It uses modified Quake1 system!!!!!!!!!!!!How can we be sure you ask?Just download the Half-Life SDK used for creating mods and etc and check things like lightmaping(not RGB but simple grayscale ) or stuff like Q1 BSP levels or stuff like textures which size doesn''t get over 128x128 and so on!

"You losers better learn...NOONE CONTROLS OUR GOD DAMN LIFE!!!" - MANOWAR
Well actually I think they combined the Quake and Quake 2 and modified it alot, then out came Half-Life.
Regards,
Deficte
Extract from idsoftware.com about the Quake 1 engine: "Remember this engine is the foundation for what Valve did with Half-Life".
For HL, Valve took the Quake engine, modified it to hell, included some Quake2 code and then modified it even more.. conservative estimates say that there is only about 20% orignal Quake code left after Valve rewrote it all.

And i''m pretty sure the games Unreal(2)/UT(2K3) use the ''Unreal Engine'' not the ''Unreal Warfare Engine'' which is basicaly a rolling developement all the time and just gets frozen when a game is released and then that game gets patches based on engine upgrades etc.
quote:Original post by Mihail121
It seems you guys don''t know a lot of things.Well i''m here to tell you the stuff.First Quake3,Quake2,Quake1,Unreal use it''s own engines.The Unreal series use identical version(modified each time new game must come out) and it''s called "Unreal Warfare".ID software is writing a new engine each time they make a game.For John Carmack this damn easy.And for Half-Life...the truth might sound a little weird but Half-Life doesn''t used modified Quake2 system at all!!!!It uses modified Quake1 system!!!!!!!!!!!!How can we be sure you ask?Just download the Half-Life SDK used for creating mods and etc and check things like lightmaping(not RGB but simple grayscale ) or stuff like Q1 BSP levels or stuff like textures which size doesn''t get over 128x128 and so on!

"You losers better learn...NOONE CONTROLS OUR GOD DAMN LIFE!!!" - MANOWAR

ID is not rewriting the engine each time, look at the Quake and Quake 2 sources, it''s more an evolution. It would be pretty dumb to rewrite a working system.
There is only one "Unreal" Engine. "Unreal Warfare" was only a working title for builds after Unreal Tournament 1.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement