pico vs emacs vs vi vs edit vs notepad

Started by
48 comments, last by capn_midnight 20 years, 10 months ago
Textpad is very good.

I wrote three different text editors in three different languages over the weekend. Using homebrew solutions is fun.
Advertisement
Crimson Editor! Best!

you define your own syntax highlighting and lots more!

http://www.angrysoft.com/
Get SMS Counter and Call Counter for Nokia 7650/3650
http://www.dualforcesolutions.comProfessional website designs and development, customized business systems, etc.,
vi is weird. Especially when you have never used it before.

btw, emacs owns you all. Remeber that contract you signed when you were born? The one they have you sign with a footprint? Yeah. You just gave them your soul. Emacs is like that.
Member of the Unban nes8bit or the White Rhino in my Basement Gets Sold to the Highest Bidder Association (UNWRBGSHBA - Not accepting new members.)Member of the I'm Glad Mithrandir Finally Found an Association that Accepts People with his Past History Association (IGMFFAAPPHA)
Textpad (www.textpad.com) is the best.
quote:Original post by superpig
copy con

but seriously I use nano and vi quite a lot, along with gEdit; under windows, usually notepad (or MSVC - notepad can't handle some EOL characters for some reason).

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he's not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

Had a good laugh with copy con. Reminds me of edlin.

For what it's worth I use vi mostly.

[edited by - BeerNutts on May 28, 2003 5:46:46 PM]

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

quote:Original post by capn_midnight
my answer is encoded somewherez in my message.
The encoded answer is PICO.

I use mostly Emacs.

The only problem I have is that the Emacs commands are so ingrained into my brain now, that I automatically try to use them with other editors as well. Usually with pretty weird results.
OH TEH NOS!!!

I just found out that what I was using, what I though was vi, was actually vim! OH NOS!

That''s cool though, as long as it uses the same syntax. I just downloaded gvim for Windows, to try it out.
quote:Original post by Sandman
I''d just like to say that emacs is horrible, or at least that version of emacs (is it X-emacs or something) that involves all those stupid mouse+keyboard combination shortcuts.

That''s both of them. emacs and X-emacs both have about 15 million mouse+ctrl+alt+whicheverelsekey commands. Freaky...

[Cyberdrek | the last true sorcerer | Spirit Mage - mutedfaith.com][ Administrator TheLinuxForum.tk]
[Cyberdrek | ]
quote:Original post by mr_dejao
I prefer Emacs when booted into Linux (curses version, not that X-Emacs crap ) and Ultra-Edit when booted into Windows. Both of them support the syntax highlighting I so enjoy

For your info, vim has highlighting too...

[Cyberdrek | the last true sorcerer | Spirit Mage - mutedfaith.com][ Administrator TheLinuxForum.tk]
[Cyberdrek | ]
I like notepad on Windows.
On Linux, I like Pico, because I secure shell into a university server to use Linux.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement