Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CJ Brooke

flickering with layered windows and DirectX?

In an Internet Microsoft newsgroup for DirectX, I read that flickering problems can occur when using layered windows over a DirectX surface. I''ve written a simple test case with layered windows, but don''t observe flickering problems. Here is a description of my simple test case: - In one program, create a topmost, layered, transparent window that uses BitBlt() to draw a bitmap in the layered window at regular intervals. - A second program uses DirectX 9.0, running in windowed mode, to draw lines and bitmaps in response to mouse motion events. - I run both programs, positioning the layered window over the DirectX program. No flickering is observed in either window. Can someone provide more details regarding the circumstances when the flickering problem occurs? Do flickering problems only occur with translucent layered windows, or is this also a problem with transparent layered windows? Are there workarounds available or does anyone know if this issue will be addressed in an upcoming Microsoft release? Thanks for your help! -- CJ

Guest Anonymous Poster
download winamp 3. Make the playlist as big as your desktop. Set it to be 20% transparent. Minimize. Now load some game in a window. While playing, restore winamp3. winamp will flicker.

I''ve downloaded and installed Winamp.
How do I set the Winamp playlist to be 20% transparent?
I can''t find a transparency setting in the Preferences dialog.
Do I need to be using a special skin? Or a 3rd party utility?

Thanks,
CJ