Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jlowe64

Game Idea

Got a small Idea for a game, might be a few issues, like copyrites and stuff but its just and idea. I dotn have a design doc, im just throwing an idea out there. What do you guys think of a Stargate MMORPG, with different worlds to go to, and missions, and space travel; you know the usual stuff in an mmoprg. tell me if you would like to play it if it was a good game.

It seems that everyone and their dog wants to write a MMORPG these days, and I certainly wouldn''t call it a ''small idea''.

Having said that, the Stargate universe would probably lend itself quite nicely to a MMORPG. However, your comment ''all the usual stuff in a MMORPG'' is a little bit disturbing. If you are going to all the trouble of developing a new game as complex as a MMORPG, you might as well *try* and offer something a bit different to all the other MMORPGS out there, rather than just the same thing all over again but with different graphics.

ooo sorry, didnt write clearly enough. yes there will be different things envolved. like the clash of the Humans, Goa''uld, and the Tocra (excuse my spelling). Right there the dynamics between rival species is enough to get the blood flowing. On top of that there will be a transport system using the stargate, you will be able to explore different worlds, with different plantlife and different people. There will be a sort of anticipation with going to a new world not knowing if it is taken over by one of the Goa''uld system lords. Not only that there will be a rank system, for ex. if you are Gao''uld you can eventually become a sytem lord, with different variables to determin that.

Like I said I havent really thought about it, the idea just sort of came to me. And i am sure i could write a Game Doc on the subject, just wanted to know what you guys thought of the idea.

And BTW I dont want to make this game myself, I am no programmer. But i do a little modelling. and yes the MMORPG market is flooded, but this might be able to come into a unique concept.

My part in making this game would most likely be a Leadership role, like maybe a game director or somthing. I am a very good leadership type.

[edited by - jlowe64 on May 27, 2003 2:06:39 PM]

I agree with sandman,

How much expiriance programming or developing games do you have? An MMORPG is WAAAAYYYY to complicated for the beginning game developer, and i doubt that it will be accomplished. In fact, has anyone noticed that the really good developers on the board would not attempt it without a team of a gizzilion people and funding galor. It will probably end up like the many other MMORPG''s built by amature developers, DEAD. Take my advice, you have a good idea, but your not going to be able to realize that dream on your own. Perhaps if you can get together a large passionate team, with programmers (4-8+ years expiriance) plenty of Artists, thrown in some funding (dunno how you will get that), then perhaps, but you are still talking a year or two of development WITH the large team. Think about it.

I would agree with the other posters about programming experience and a team of people (although that may not be so much a problem if you make a smaller game). However, I like the idea of a Stargate RPG. Sounds like a good idea.

Grant Palin

ok here you go guys:

Worked for a game company earlier in the year. I was a modeller.

Graduated from college in Network Administration, and Computer maintenance.

I am at the ripe age of 19.

I was not planning on programming or modelling myself, just a leadership role. I would never attempt this on my own if I do it. And i do realize the work envolved if i do it. I just wanted to know if it was a good idea, and if you would play it if it offered a unique approach to a MMROPRG.

Like I said in the first post, there are copyrite issues. And i would have to get permission from MGM.

Just wanted to know if the idea was somthing that folks wanted. Thats all I wanted to know, didnt want to if I could do it, I wanted to know if you guys would play if there was a such of a game. Thats all!

quote:
Original post by jlowe64
I wanted to know if you guys would play if there was a such of a game. Thats all!

I couldn''t possibly answer that question: you haven''t actually propsed a game or a game idea, you''ve just proposed a setting.

It''s like saying: I''ve got a great idea for a game: Baltimore, Maryland.

What does it mean? We need more information.

I disagree. I would love a game based in Baltimore. Just as long as it is not an Orioles game.

Actualy, by basing it on star-gate he is sortov describing gameplay. He said it is the basic-style of MMORPG with the star-gate theme and concept. There really isnt too much more he can say if he doesent actualy have any real innovative concepts now can there?

Yes, the Stargate universe would lend itself quite nicely to an MMPORPG. I''d certainly be interested in a game like that, and I''d be interested in how you explain there being sooo many people (earthlings) that "know" about the Stargates, since the movie/series has relatively few people from Earth know of the system.

Here''s the problem, jlowe.... So would the Amber universe make a good MMPORPG. And I''d love to see a Matrix MMPORPG. How ''bout a Grand Theft Auto MMPORPG? Hey Star Trek would also make a good one... And so would HUNDREDS of other licensed universes. But as people have said, MMPORPGs are a MASSIVE undertaking-- expensive, time consuming, and a LOT more work and a LOT more things have to be considered than anyone who has just made non-massive games can even begin to fathom.

Licensing a universe would just add to the complexity, though I have to admit that it sure would pull in a lot more interest in an already-crowded market. Note we do not yet have a licensed-universt MMPORPG, though we do have rumors/promises of Matrix and Star Wars games. Everquest et al have the advantage that they can create the entire universe for the game, tailoring things like objects, cities, races, classes, etc to maintain game balance, and not be bound by any previous conceptions. Trying to do this with a licensed universe would create MASS problems, not only with design, but also with the FanBoys who would through the mother-of-all hissies because you changed something. (I think the Star Wars MMPORPG has already taken a LOT of flak for this reason!)

But please don''t let us discourage you. :-) hehheh

Stargate MMORPG:

1. Several races, ex. To''cra, Goa''uld, Human.
2. Full cusomization of Characters.
3. Several Different worlds, each with several Stargates.
4. Starships, with all sorts of custom options.
5. Each world with its own set of plants, trees, animals, and
culture.
6. Missions for individuals or teams.
7. Many weapons.
8. Rank system for each race, ex. Goa''uld''s can eventually
become a sytem lord.
9. Many Occupations based on race.
a. Doctor
b. Explorer
c. Crafter (using the unique metal in the stargate)
d. Soldier
e. Servant (goa''uld)
10. Option for Humans to receive a Symbiyote, which open up a load of options such as weapons and Mind control.

Things like this, its just an Idea. Just a few of the things that can be done.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Desco
and I''d be interested in how you explain there being sooo many people (earthlings) that "know" about the Stargates

Many of the other world know about thier statgate, the only one with few ppl knowing is earth. Maybe somthing can happen that would allow ppl to know about the Stargate. Like i said i just now thought about it this weekend. and i thought it would be a good game.

I think I''d prefer the game be set in the not-so-distant future, after the entire Earth human race has full knowledge of the Stargate... kinda like that one episode set in the future, where they had a airport-like terminal set up around the stargate, and travel through was controlled, but available to all citizens. (''course, in that episode, another race was trying to kill off the Earth humans, but...)

-Desco-

quote:

I was not planning on programming or modelling myself, just a leadership role.

So you just want to watch other people make the game and do no real ''work'' yourself correct?

Just Smile and Nod...

Well i am a great Concept artist (essential role) which i would do, I am good at composing music i would consider doing, i am a diplomatic type person, so costomer relations is somthign else i can do. As for real work all parts are equally important in making a game. As i can vouch for that.

but smiling and nodding sounds nice