Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The unProfessional

Maya -> OBJ export problems

Hey everyone... i''m working on a homebrew xbox title and a friend is helping me with the modelling. He created a pretty kickass M1A1 abrams tank, which is broken up in a hierarchy to organize the model. We''re exporting the model to OBJ so I can then convert to the model to my own format. I have experience with obj files, but for some reason, the OBJExporter in maya is yielding weird results. First of all, the faces aren''t triangulated... some are even 5-vert polys. Also, the grouping doesn''t translate correctly. For some reason, there is a "Default" group even though such a group doesn''t exist in the Maya file. Any ideas why this would be the case? I''d appreciate any help, Thanks

Hey there

You should take a look at Ultimate Unwrap3D (http://www.unwrap3d.com/). It has an amazing amount of plugins written for it including a OBJ import/export. It has a triangluate tool. The sdk available to registered users is very clean and easy to use. New features are added all the time making it more than just a uv mapper and in my eyes a developers best friend. The price is right too .

As for your immediate problem you could triangluate the faces yourself, there must be a couple of articles around that describe this.

Chapel