game engine and grahics engine

Started by
2 comments, last by r 20 years, 11 months ago
hi recently i began to get confused when i see the words graphics engine and game engine i thought that a graphics engine is just a renderer that is capable of some features like multitexturing, shadows, ...etc(and rendering techniques) while a game engine is a graphics engine + other game techniques like collision detection, so could anybody tell me what''s the difference between those two words also if the words "graphics engine" and "renderer" could be used instead of each other thanx
rad
Advertisement
renderer only takes care of the rendering part. graphics engine could handle models for you also.

.lick
they are terms people have made up and there are no industry standard definitions
The terms x engine just makes most coders confused, ignore them. There are mainly two parts:

#1 - The engine consisting of handling everything except gameplay. Rendering, Loading resources support, etc. Bunch of managers that supplies a bunch of functions that enable you to load resources etc.
#2 - The game code, creation of items using the engine functions etc. and the rules of their interaction.

Thats pretty much it.

[edited by - Cybrosys on May 27, 2003 8:19:27 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement