• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

okonomiyaki

A question about the chunked lod paper

This topic is 5530 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m trying a couple of different LOD techniques, and right now it''s chunked LOD. In the chunked lod paper, it describes the distance from a node as "the distance from the viewpoint to the closest point on the chunk''s bounding volume..." I know what he means by bounding volume, but could anyone describe the algorithm for this? I can''t really think of a way to figure that out, and I''m sure there''s a simple algorithm but I just don''t know it. Thanks!

Advertisement
In my implementation I just used distance from bouding sphere (I build spheres around AABB). It workd just fine for me. For exact distance you should look at http://www.magic-software.com/Documentation.html

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.

Great! I was thinking of using spheres, but that can lead to big distance errors I thought, but if you say it works fine it''s worth a try. I''ll try that first, thanks!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!