What i need to make some game development

Started by
31 comments, last by cpp boy 20 years, 10 months ago
Hey, i would like to know what are the theories in math and physic that i should know before starting some game programming. I never really take a high degree in math and physics so if you can give me some sites to learn those stuff i would be gratefull.
Kevin
Advertisement
First you have to answere the question "how mach physics do you mant".
But there are some basics you will need, you need to understand vectors and calculations with them, thats nearly all math you need for the physics thing and you need some additional knowledge about matrices for the graphics.
About phisics you must know about the topic so called mechanics, with translation and rotation, how a body with a mass moves when a force is applied. Some basic equavation (??? is that the right english word???)
I mean you have to know that F = m * a

F is the force
m = mass
a = acceleration
so if you have the mass and the force you can get the acceleration

and for moving
s = (1/2)*a*t² + v*t + s0
v = a*t + v0

s = way
s0= way befor time passed
t = time that has passed
v = vellocity
v0= vellocity before time has pased

here
http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/gametuts/gametut.asp?lesson=02
you get something for vectors and matrices and NeHe has also tutorials for OpenGL
Nehe him self touches physics in his Tutorial 39 and 40

http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/contents.html
the first topic about mechanic could be helpful but you have to know what you want of it, mostly gravityforces, friction and rotation is a good thing, collosions as well.
Sorry, but without an academic degree in math or CS or software engineering you will never be able to code real games.
And don''t listen to anyone who tells you that you will.

//--SEGA--RULES--
I don''t agree with xxx_shinobi''s comment. There are many types of games that don''t require extensive math. For example, board games, 2D puzzle games, and even some types of 2D action games.

For 3D games, you will definitely need more math. Although you definitely can make games without a degree, or even formal education in 3D math, you will find it difficult to make a 3D game unless you have a VERY strong understanding of 3D math and geometry.

I actually would suggest that you do not try to create a 3D game until you have more experience with basic game programming. Try to recreate some of the old classic 2D games, such as Pac-Man and breakout. Start simple, finish a project, learn how to write efficient and well-structured code. Learn how to develop some simple artwork for games, and learn how to display that artwork in 2D. You will be much less frustrated if you start with a simple project.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
Also, people DO learn things outside of school. I never took any linear algebra, but I''ve been doing stuff w/covariance matrices and eigenvectors/values that I learned on my own. It''s amazing how many game developers have no degrees in CS/Engineering.

I agree with grhodes...Try something 2D and simple first. It''s much less of a headache, much easier to finish, and that''ll get you into a positive reinforcement loop, knowing that you''ve finished one.

Drilian, grhodes_at_work, give the guy motivation to get a degree, don''t bullshit his brain.Without math/physics/coding at academic level you wan''t get real understending of how things works. It will be fake. It''s like to invent a car before wheel.
This thread is very black and white, but if I had to choose one path, I would have to agree with Shinobi on this one...

Basic physics is fine, but with serious knowledge, you will be able to do simple physics even better, plus you will be able to implement better concepts all together.

Of course until you get a degree, by all means muck-around with code, even if it''s face physics.

www.cppnow.com
quote:Original post by xxx_shinobi
Sorry, but without an academic degree in math or CS or software engineering you will never be able to code real games.
And don''t listen to anyone who tells you that you will.

//--SEGA--RULES--

Sorry, but you are dead wrong. Depending on school to learn anything is a bad habit to get into, and there is no reason someone can''t teach themselves math and physics w/o going into a classroom. Also, with the pace of technology, learning things on your own is the only way you can keep up in the game dev. world since many things related to game dev. are not even covered in school.

back on topic, if you want to program game engines that''s where your knowledge of math and physics really comes into play. game programming itself depends more upon structure and organization than it does on math and physics, although you may still need to understand some concepts to work with the engine.

As for what you need to know:
important -> algebra, trig., linear algebra
calculus is not used too much, but it''s good to know in case you stumble upon something that requires it.
if your working on a 2d game you may or may not use any linear algebra, depending on how advanced it is.

For physics you need to know about projectile physics. Beyond this it depends on what your doing.

I don''t know any links for physics, but www.sosmath.com has always helped me with math. Also check out the articles right here on gamedev, as well as on www.gamasutra.com.

digital radiation
Dear directrix, you make me laugh with your fantasy about studing all by your own. First of all, no one in the REAL game industry will even talk to you without at least B.Sc.
And about your dreams about studing all the theory by your own,i dont even want to respond........
quote:Original post by Drilian
Also, people DO learn things outside of school. I never took any linear algebra, but I''ve been doing stuff w/covariance matrices and eigenvectors/values that I learned on my own. It''s amazing how many game developers have no degrees in CS/Engineering.

I agree with grhodes...Try something 2D and simple first. It''s much less of a headache, much easier to finish, and that''ll get you into a positive reinforcement loop, knowing that you''ve finished one.

it is not amazing it is a shame

i am from germany

we can choose which courses we want to do for the finals 2 years before the finals

for example we have 2 math courses
one in depth and one for noobs *:D*

and even in the in depth course we don t even touch matrices although you need it all the time when you are at the UNI

thats a shame and know what? our ministers complain about the bad math degrees in our country

all we do is some vector and infini*infinitesimal calculations*

and the biggest topic in math is probability calculation aka stochastic

first of all in order to be good in stochastic you need to check it you can reduce it to
a) either check it and get all points
b) dont waste your time with checking it out

and at the UNI you hardly need stochastik

one should execute these dumb education ministers

about vector geometry i knew everything about it before we learned it in school rofl

my teacher ignored me after some time cause i always knew the solution before the rest started thinking about it
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement