Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doolwind

Thoughts on Half-Life 2 Engine (from video)

Doolwind    213
Hi guys, Just wondering if anyone has seen the 30min Half-Life 2 video. I thought it was quite amazing and is certainly a step in the right diection for game programming. The graphics and physics were both amazing and the AI (if it truly wasn''t scipted as they were saying) was amazing also. Finally games are getting to the point were you can sit someone down who doesn''t know anything about games and they can go "wow, that is really amazing". Just wondered if anyone else was as amazed as I was. Doolwind

PhiberOptic    128
Yeah, really amazing.. Even if I don''t think the graphics is better than Doom III the engine seem to rule.

The physics and the animation system is really nice. You can''t longer see if the animation of a human is made on a computer or if it''s real. Also, the AI characters seem to be very clever. No longer stupid bots.

Okay, they have highpoly models and highres textures, but it still can''t be compared with Doom III. I miss the usage of pixelshaded bumpmapping on everything to make it look smooth.