How to map texture on a sphere?

Started by
1 comment, last by vcgames 20 years, 11 months ago
For example, I want to draw the earth seen from the outer space.How can I map several textures that display what the earth looks like when seen at different angles on the drawn sphere and when it is rotating, I can see different terrains on the earth. Thanks very much!
Advertisement
I had this exact problem some time ago. How do you map a texture on to sphere properly? I searched around a bit, and found these articles by Paul Bourke (works at the Swinbourne University of Technology in Australia, and the guys over at GameTutorials.com often reference articles of his they used to create some of their tutorials):

Parametric Equation of a Sphere and Texture Mapping

Texture map correction for spherical mapping

Take a look at the rest of his site here, it's really rather good...

Coding Stuff ->  [ iNsAn1tY Games | DarkVertex | How To Do CSG | Direct3D Vs. OpenGL | Google ]
Fun Stuff    ->  [ Evil T-Shirts | Stick-Based Comedy | You're Already Here | The Best Film Reviews ]

[edited by - iNsAn1tY on May 28, 2003 9:01:43 AM]
My opinion is a recombination and regurgitation of the opinions of those around me. I bring nothing new to the table, and as such, can be safely ignored.[ Useful things - Firefox | GLee | Boost | DevIL ]
I will read these articles, thank you!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement