The biggest game in the world

Started by
12 comments, last by Gevork 20 years, 10 months ago
Why not build a system, call it a game that everyone makes. A simple editor allows people all around the world to create their residence or any place using an array of objects from dogs to teaspoons. Then they upload it to the web and connect to the system we then add it to the overall game... users can then access our game and enter the person who has made their level by perhaps that persons residence or where they live creating a unified world, the biggest game on the planet. The point would be a place to explore, chat and design. It would be like the real world but bits would be added to it as users make more levels. so walking up to a door opens it to users in london. London users have individual doors and you can walk into that persons made up area. Have I gone MAD?????
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Gevork
Then they upload it to the web and connect to the system we then add it to the overall game...

Have I gone MAD?????

short answer- yes.

long answer- yes, because if you take into consideration the number of people who would be playing your game and presumably adding new content to your overall "game", your users would spend more time downloading "new updates" than actually playing your game (anybody else remember when every public quake server had its own set of sounds/maps/models/textures/ect.. you''d spend an hour downloading crap and by the time you''d almost get a level it''d disconnect and go to the next one. rinse. repeat.)

so basically, there''s not enough bandwidth availible to make this idea feasible.

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

Do NOT let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor!

-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
Doesn''t Sims Online do exactly that? There is also a site called ActiveWorlds (www.activeworlds.com) that let people design their own patch of real estate that others could visit.
Actually, I don''t think bandwidth would be the biggest consideration... Assuming you''re talking about a 3d system that uses a standard-style engine, you''d probably want to restrict your "builders" to using all, if-not-mostly stock built-in textures... Geometry data is fairly small, and wouldn''t take much to transfer/update to users. Think of the how much data is transferred between server and clients in your average game of Quake III-- again, not very large chunks of information (just "this character move to this location") but a LOT of it, VERY rapidly. Or hell, just try to FATHOM the amount of bandwidth used up by P2P systems like KaZaA. Whoa... Wasn''t there just a report saying that P2P systems are hogging something like 60% of the world''s bandwidth? No wonder ISPs want to restrict their usage.

Anyway, my biggest concern would be STORAGE SPACE! I mean it''s small chunks of information, but it''s a SHHHton of it! Your house may only be 1-2MB, but when you''re talking about every player''s house, all over the world... Yow... Hey, maybe it''d be better to take a page from the P2P world, and not have a central server-- but instead, you transfer the information directly from the player who "owns" the land, or from someone who''s recently been there! Chances are, you got the "address" from someone who is there, or has recently been there, so your client could grab the geometric info from that person!

But yeah, sounds like Sims Online... which... didn''t do as well as everyone hoped it would. So besides being very cool, and being a huge novelty which''ll wear off after a small period of time, you have to decide-- what''s the point? What will keep players coming back again and again? Where''s the addictive cocaine quality that has given Everquest the affectionate nickname "Evercrack"?

-Desco-
EDIT: Sorry, I closed the wrong thread. DOH.

[edited by - Sandman on May 28, 2003 1:18:36 PM]
I keep thinking bout he same idea, and each part of your own world could even have different physics attached to it to add spice. I think this is doable without worrying bout bandwidth, as stated by desco, if you have everything that is already on a clients machine (The array of objects) then the only download really is a "text" file describing where and how all those objects are placed...and even then it could have an update peroid say every sunday (i.e. once a week) where it downloads all the new areas added that week...and if you enjoy the areas you have already you can forgo this update.. perhaps in the game world a area you dont have downloaded would be represeented by a empty plot with a "The future home of..." sign or something (Assuming a Sims sorta of setup).

I dont know, I too just always thought the idea was cool.

Shane
I think these ''size'' games will be more the norm as time goes on. However, I wonder what kind of draw and retention ''creating it yourself'' really has when players and audiences expect a storyline because that is what we all have perceptually be weaned on, and most ''do it yourselfers'' are terrible storytellers/writers, know they are, and lose interest in playing once they reach the limits of their ability to keep themselves self-engaged through personal ability to do so.

This might be alleviated some due to groups of players coming up with ideas in a collaberative environment that may please the group for awhile, but how long will that last. It would be just like a bunch of kids who have been playing kid''s games outside for a long time together, and making up new games, or variants of old game all the time, and losing interest in them after awhile.

Really provocative area of game development though, glad you suggested the possibilities.

Adventuredesign

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

If you do it right, such as setting limits on the area that you can build graphic size and sound length etc. the downloads wouldnt be bad at all. Of course I am thinking using cable/dsl

but I am sure you can limit your areas to use only common textures and sounds for a bit then as time goes on be able to add your own content to your area. because most people dont have the tools to make there own content and the ones that do can be put on a server. Also limit the max size of the area to say 2 megs. If you use good terrain generation based on a seed value you wont need to store that data. Or the really popular areas can have a bigger size up to 20 megs or 50 these would be common areas that everyone goes too.

Interested in being apart of a team of people that are developing a toolkit that can help anyone product an online game? Then click here http://tangle.thomson.id.au/
quote:Original post by Desco
Actually, I don''t think bandwidth would be the biggest consideration... Assuming you''re talking about a 3d system that uses a standard-style engine, you''d probably want to restrict your "builders" to using all, if-not-mostly stock built-in textures... Geometry data is fairly small, and wouldn''t take much to transfer/update to users.[...]
You aren''t only transferring gemoetry though, you have to send lightmaps, texture coordinates, visibility information etc (unless of course you make the game using realtime lighting like doom3/hl2 and a portal system). If you want the game to be truly expandable, it will need scripting too to make custom items in each part of the world, new enemies, etc. If you just let them make new gemoetry, it would get REALLY boring pretty fast.

"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
quote:Original post by Sandman
EDIT: Sorry, I closed the wrong thread. DOH.

I had to laugh when I read that...

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

If you see the image I am online
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement