whats the arcade game look secret?

Started by
3 comments, last by quack 20 years, 10 months ago
Namco games look hot and immersive, pc games look sharp and flat. Is it soley because of the monitor on a pc? I don''t have one of those tv gfx cards. For someone that does, does it make pc games look less flat? (even though it''s a lower res) I''m just wondering. Time Crisis, Tailgunner, etc have that arcade look even though pc may have more detail and higher resolution. hmmn maybe it''s the colors.
www.autodefrost.com/~travisSignature Virus cleaned by McAfee
Advertisement
The colors help. Namco arcade games also tend to use big and bold textures and not a lot of lighting. PC games tend to look a lot more pixely because of detailed texturing, lightmaps, etc.
thanks, I took a trip to the arcade today and tried to pick out the difference. I noticed what you said about big simple textures. some are REALLY pixelated, but it''s a nice lookin pixelation for some reason. even the blocky charecters are cool. They all seem to uses the same off the wall bright palette, except tekken. Not much lighting just lots of shadows. Time crisis 3 is AWESOME too by the way. I bet they have one overworked artist they keep in the basement that does all the graphics

As you said, using TV screens rather than monitors helps cover up crappy textures and jaggies Since monitors are so much sharper you can make out individual pixels, although with AA becoming more and more available that problem should slowly disappear.

Plus the fact those companies have some really good texture and model artists who really know their jobs.

[edited by - JuNC on May 30, 2003 5:46:15 AM]
I noticed too, after more playing namco style stuff, that non photorealistic textures looks much sharper than photorealistic ones. Maybe that's because monitors aren't to good at displaying natural tones.

[edited by - quack on June 2, 2003 11:56:21 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement