Sticking multiple images in one image file

Started by
8 comments, last by haro 20 years, 10 months ago
What is the best way to place multiple images in one image file? Namely, I have a set of 10 32x32 tiles that I want to put into one .bmp file. I have been using photoshop and creating a 320x320 file, and hand placing each tile. The problem is this is already very prone to "off by a pixel" mistakes, and it takes much too much time. When I have a set of 100 or 1000 tiles I need to set this would be rediculous. I could also write a program to do it, but that seems like it would be overboard just to paste a bunch of images in an orderly fashion. What do most people do??? Thanks.
Advertisement
I will use in my game the same thing because i think it is faster. If you load one image in computers memory and then copy parts of that image onto screen it takes lesser time. If your computer must load image and then copy it onto screen, then load another copy it onto screen etc.. It takes more time.

Please someone correct me if you think i have wrong opinion.
Like most things in programming, there is just no easy way around some of the stuff you want to do. In these cases it is best to just roll up the sleeves and get to work. . .
Looks like you better get cracking. I''ve not come across any useful utilities like that. Writing a program would be better than all the elbow grease though.
*st0ned*
Just make a grid for 32 pixels and set snap on. You still have to hand place them but you wont be prone to "off by a pixel" mistakes.
Oh well, just put one together for you. It''s only a few lines of code in Delphi, plus some drag&drop. Might not be bug-free though, it''s a 10-minute program

Handling instructions :
1. start program
2. Press button
3. Select files to merge
4. Select output-file. Don''t forget to add extension manually...

Here it is : http://home.zonnet.nl/jaapjp/Imagemerger.zip
Newbie programmers think programming is hard.Amature programmers think programming is easy.Professional programmers know programming is hard.
When I executed it on my PC strange things happened. It minimized itself to the task bar, and then when I restored it.. it appeared to be located below the taskbar and unselectable..
Worked great for me
Cool program!
quote:Original post by haro
When I executed it on my PC strange things happened. It minimized itself to the task bar, and then when I restored it.. it appeared to be located below the taskbar and unselectable..

Ah, that''s probably because I''ve designed my app useing a screen-resolution of 1280x1024, positioning it somewhere down on the screen. I''ll change that prolly within 10 mins from this post....

Newbie programmers think programming is hard.Amature programmers think programming is easy.Professional programmers know programming is hard.
Okay, should be fixed now. See if it works. Same dl-link...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement