Game Dev degree based.

Started by
2 comments, last by Antony52 20 years, 11 months ago
If you have a degree in Computer Engineering which part of game development would be the best to get involved?Unless the degree plays no role and only what you like does.
Advertisement
Depends on where you focused your studies, of course! In a good university, one can extensively study graphical representation, voice recognition, sound modelling, physics modelling, networking, concurrency, artificial intelligence, ... Anything that goes into programming a game.
a computer engineering degree focuses on the electrical engineering that goes into construction of a computer. While ECE''s usually have solid programming skills in C or some other high level language, their focus is on assembly and how to build a computer and not how to write a large program. An ECE would be good at building a PS3, but not so good for writing games that work on a PS3. At least, that''s the general case. I''d say that the majority of people working for game companies started out as CS majors.
In my experience I find many CPE''s to be far more sensitive to performance than CS majors.

Part of this I attribute to colleges starting students out on higher-level languages.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement