noob question

Started by
5 comments, last by dark_radeon 20 years, 11 months ago
i've been programming in c++ for a few months now and i was wondering, could someone tell me exactly what i need to know in order to learn directx, i've started to understand the basics of windows programming, creating a window, using handles etc could anyone tell me exactly what i should know before i start to learn directx..i started to learn a bit of directdraw and it's not that tough but...i still feel like i don't know enough to fully understand and utilize the basic stuff that i've been learning in directx i've been mainly using directdraw v7..if anyone could point me in the right direction i'd greatly appreciate it thanx..oh and sorry if this is a noob question! being a noob sux!!! if anyone knows any good links that could also help me..i'd greatly appreciate it -Zeke''s Signature [edited by - dark_radeon on May 28, 2003 5:13:58 PM]
-Zeke''s Signature
Advertisement
You should know the following:
1. how to do console-based C++
2. Be comfortable with strings, pointers, OOP, classes, and so on
3. How to find a good tutorial.

Scott Simontis
Game Programmer in Training
Have a nice day!
Current Project: Waiting for OpenGL Game Programming Book
Scott SimontisMy political blog
DirectX itself is confusing when you''re starting out(at least it was to me), I just read through the directX documentation that came with it and i managed to learn it. If you are comfortable doing minor Windows programming(Win32 not console) then you should be fine with DX, just takes some time to get it through your head.
Check out this URL - it takes you through writin a side-scrolling game using C++ and DX (i think version 8):
http://www.2dgame-tutorial.com/

or you can take a look at this site:
http://www.2dgame-tutorial.com/

hope these are of some use
you need to understand classes to understand directx
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
you need to understand classes to understand directx

No you don''t, you can have a complete lack of knowledge about classes, and still understand/use directx. There is a non class (normal C) interface as well as the class oriented interface to it. An understanding of classes isn''t a bad idea, but I just wanted you to know that it''s not a necessity by any means.
quote:Original post by Ready4Dis
There is a non class (normal C) interface as well as the class oriented interface to it.

No, there isn''t. There''s a C-compatible ''approximation'' of the C++ class concept using structures full of function pointers and the hidden _vtbl member, but it''s certainly not a ''normal C'' interface. A ''normal C'' interface would be like OpenGL.

Back on topic:

• Know how to create a window. You say you''ve got that already, OK then.

• A couple of COM basics - in particular, the IUnknown interface.

That''s about it.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement