Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sSimontis

Win32 Game Programming

I am going to learn OpenGL. After I do, should I learn the Win32 API? I want to know if it has use for creating games. Scott Simontis Game Programmer in Training Have a nice day! Current Project: Waiting for OpenGL Game Programming Book

Personally, I would learn the Win32 API first. Then, again personally, I would learn DirectX. I assume the same benefits of understanding a bit about the Win32 API before DirectX would also apply to OpenGL.

[edited by - Jason Doucette on May 28, 2003 6:22:52 PM]

Uh, yeah. By all means learn the basics of the Win32 API first. You''ll need to know how to create a window and handle messages when using OpenGL anyway. You don''t have to learn everything, like MFC or even GDI, but definitely read up on how to create a window and the associated things (this''ll flow right into OpenGL with determining the pixel format, setting window and class properties, etc.)

Later,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

Guest Anonymous Poster
you first need to learn the Windows API or your going to be stuck using GLUT.

nehe.gamedev.net - OpenGL tutorials.
the first tutorial involves creating a window using the Windows API.

1. C++
2. Windows API
3. OpenGL and/or Direct3D

I just started trying out Win32 API. Would all you guru''s out there recommend getting a book on it or should I save my money for a later date and get a DirectX book after I get the basics of Win32? Thanks

Tanks for your advice. I need a tutorial on win32 programming if any of you know of a good one. It has to be a tutorial, because I find it hard to learn through source, no matter how well-commented it is. I know I should use google, but I would like a good tutorial. Thank you.

Scott Simontis
Game Programmer in Training
Have a nice day!
Current Project: Waiting for OpenGL Game Programming Book

quote:
Original post by Village Specialton
Tanks for your advice. I need a tutorial on win32 programming if any of you know of a good one. It has to be a tutorial, because I find it hard to learn through source, no matter how well-commented it is. I know I should use google, but I would like a good tutorial. Thank you.

That's easy. http://www.gametutorials.com/ has some good ones.

edit: errr never mind... I forgot that their tuts are all source with lots of comments heheh.

[edited by - nodeg on May 28, 2003 8:29:06 PM]

Gametutorials would work. Except they just comment their code. i like how they do it in Nehe. They first tell you what you are doing. Then, they tell you what the code is.

Scott Simontis
Have a nice day!

If you are learning OpenGL why are you worrying about Win32 anyway? I''d learn SDL for working with OpenGL as it will make it way easier to make your games x-platform, and it''s easier to use then Win32. Save Win32 for a rainy day. The cone3d tuts are very good for sdl.

This is defenitely not the best choice because of the cost. But Ernest Pazera did a great job in his book"Isometric game programming with directx7.0". The first chapters are just for win32API, they are all really well explained and very easy to follow.

If you can borrow it then do it!

Thanks Zapata. That will help.

Scott Simontis
Have a nice day!

I have a new question for this post. I want to know if I have the Win32 API with my system. I am using Dev-C++. Do i have it, or where must i download it?

Scott Simontis
Have a nice day!

You should have it (just the API though, not MFC or anything extra).

I''d recommend learning Win32API and MFC because they come in very handy in tools programming. MFC is very efficient for writing things like level editors; I''m going to use it to write a variable-width font editor soon. However, they don''t benefit you much in game engine programming, Win32API because you probably won''t do any more than create a window for your Direct3D device / OpenGL context, and MFC because it''s slow.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

quote:
Original post by Annatar
Uhh, what is MFC?

Microsoft Foundation Classes: MFC

It''s an API Used for making GUI apps.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.

quote:
Original post by rohde
Original post by Annatar
Uhh, what is MFC?

It's an API Used for making GUI apps.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.

Not just GUI applications. It is basically Microsofts Wrappers for most everything in the Win32API. Sockets, File Manipulation, GUI, etc.

~

Edit: stupid nested quotes

[edited by - zern on May 29, 2003 4:56:08 PM]

Microsoft Foundation Classes, an extensive framework of classes designed for creation of applications on Windows platforms. It''s a fairly decent framework based on view-controller paradigms but it''s also showing its age.

Its use in game construction is very close to nil.

afaik, no other tools vendor ships MFC nowadays (at least Symantec C++ used to).

If you notice applications installing files like MFC60.DLL, they''re build with MFC.

hth.

quote:
Original post by rohde

It''s an API Used for making GUI apps.

Original post by Zern
Not just GUI applications. It is basically Microsofts Wrappers for most everything in the Win32API. Sockets, File Manipulation, GUI, etc.

True.

quote:
Original post by Annatar
So when I follow the gametutorial.com Win32 tutorials am I using MFC?

*surfing over to gametutorials.com to check*

As I assumed: No. It's Win32.

[edited by - rohde on May 29, 2003 5:06:59 PM]

quote:
Original post by Annatar
I just started trying out Win32 API. Would all you guru's out there recommend getting a book on it or should I save my money for a later date and get a DirectX book after I get the basics of Win32? Thanks
I recommend Programming Windows, 5th Edition, but you don't need to understand the win32 API in this much depth, if you only plan on making OpenGL apps with it. But, this is a great book to have nonetheless.

Jason Doucette - online resume page: www.jasondoucette.com
projects, real-time graphics, artificial intelligence, world records, wallpapers/desktops
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." - Anna Eleanor Roosevelt, 1884-1962

[edited by - Jason Doucette on June 2, 2003 1:27:28 PM]