Win32 Game Programming

Started by
24 comments, last by sSimontis 20 years, 10 months ago
I am going to learn OpenGL. After I do, should I learn the Win32 API? I want to know if it has use for creating games. Scott Simontis Game Programmer in Training Have a nice day! Current Project: Waiting for OpenGL Game Programming Book
Scott SimontisMy political blog
Advertisement
Personally, I would learn the Win32 API first. Then, again personally, I would learn DirectX. I assume the same benefits of understanding a bit about the Win32 API before DirectX would also apply to OpenGL.

[edited by - Jason Doucette on May 28, 2003 6:22:52 PM]
Jason Doucette / Xona.comDuality: ZF — Xbox 360 classic arcade shmup featuring Dual Play
Uh, yeah. By all means learn the basics of the Win32 API first. You''ll need to know how to create a window and handle messages when using OpenGL anyway. You don''t have to learn everything, like MFC or even GDI, but definitely read up on how to create a window and the associated things (this''ll flow right into OpenGL with determining the pixel format, setting window and class properties, etc.)

Later,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

you first need to learn the Windows API or your going to be stuck using GLUT.

nehe.gamedev.net - OpenGL tutorials.
the first tutorial involves creating a window using the Windows API.

1. C++
2. Windows API
3. OpenGL and/or Direct3D
I just started trying out Win32 API. Would all you guru''s out there recommend getting a book on it or should I save my money for a later date and get a DirectX book after I get the basics of Win32? Thanks
Tanks for your advice. I need a tutorial on win32 programming if any of you know of a good one. It has to be a tutorial, because I find it hard to learn through source, no matter how well-commented it is. I know I should use google, but I would like a good tutorial. Thank you.

Scott Simontis
Game Programmer in Training
Have a nice day!
Current Project: Waiting for OpenGL Game Programming Book
quote:Original post by Village Specialton
Tanks for your advice. I need a tutorial on win32 programming if any of you know of a good one. It has to be a tutorial, because I find it hard to learn through source, no matter how well-commented it is. I know I should use google, but I would like a good tutorial. Thank you.

That's easy. http://www.gametutorials.com/ has some good ones.

edit: errr never mind... I forgot that their tuts are all source with lots of comments heheh.

[edited by - nodeg on May 28, 2003 8:29:06 PM]
Gametutorials would work. Except they just comment their code. i like how they do it in Nehe. They first tell you what you are doing. Then, they tell you what the code is.

Scott Simontis
Game Programmer in Training
Have a nice day!
Current Project: Waiting for OpenGL Game Programming Book
If you are learning OpenGL why are you worrying about Win32 anyway? I''d learn SDL for working with OpenGL as it will make it way easier to make your games x-platform, and it''s easier to use then Win32. Save Win32 for a rainy day. The cone3d tuts are very good for sdl.
This is defenitely not the best choice because of the cost. But Ernest Pazera did a great job in his book"Isometric game programming with directx7.0". The first chapters are just for win32API, they are all really well explained and very easy to follow.

If you can borrow it then do it!

"...and we all know what "undefined" means: it means it works during development, it works during testing, and it blows up in your most important customers' faces."----------Scott Meyers, "Effective C++"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement