Networking

Started by
8 comments, last by Infuscare 20 years, 10 months ago
I''ve looked around gamedev for some tutorials on networking in C++, but I haven''t had any luck. I wanna be able to do something like telnet or an FTP client or something. dont just say ''its called google'' or something to that effect...
_________________________________________"You're just jelous because the voices only talk to me"
Advertisement
Not to be rude, but Google and askjeeves are your friends. This site may have some. If you want, there was an article writen a few weeks ago that talked about winsock programming with a MUD. I don''t no of any that are good. Also, did you check the networking section for programming on this site?

Scott Simontis
Game Programmer in Training
Have a nice day!
Current Project: Waiting for OpenGL Game Programming Book
Scott SimontisMy political blog
Try this

"...and we all know what "undefined" means: it means it works during development, it works during testing, and it blows up in your most important customers' faces."----------Scott Meyers, "Effective C++"
http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~beej/guide/net/html/ -- Beej''s guide is a nice generic socket tutorial. *nix based, but winsock is almost the same (just have to start and stop the interface, and use SOCKET instead of int.. a few others I can''t remember - he details most of the major differences). I found it useful because it wasn''t aimed directly towards game developers but towards a wider networking audience. Hope this helps.
If you want something that provides a simple way to connect many users together then I''d suggest MUNE (Multi-User Networking Engine)

It''s not sockets, and it won''t allow you to create an FTP or Telnet client (or server), but it will connect up many users together.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

http://www.hal-pc.org/~johnnie2/winsock.html clicky
and
http://www.sockets.com/ clicky also

good information on both.
John Hattan did a review on a networking engine called RakNet. I''ve done a bit of low-level sockets work a few years ago and it''s not fun - RakNet wraps everything up and provides a lot of great features for making networking easy as hell. It even uses UDP instead of TCP and ensures that all packets arrive and can even make sure they arrive in order (something TCP sockets do automatically but UDP doesn''t). UDP is also faster than TCP so it''s great for games (which the engine is targeted for). Check out John''s review here. The electronic distribution license is even only $99.

Drew Sikora
A.K.A. Gaiiden

ICQ #: 70449988
AOLIM: DarkPylat

Blade Edge Software
Staff Member, GDNet
Public Relations, Game Institute

3-time Contributing author, Game Design Methods , Charles River Media
Online column - Design Corner at Pixelate

Unnoficial IGDA chat! [polaris.starchat.net -> #igda]
NJ IGDA Chapter - NJ developers unite!! [Chapter Home | Chapter Forum]

"Real programmers don''t work from 9 to 5. If any real programmers are around at 9am it''s because they were up all night."
-Anon.

"It''s not the size of the source that matters, it''s how you use it"
- Self

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Some good keywords:

socket, TCP/IP, UDP, packet, winsock, client, server
quote:Original post by kdogg
Some good keywords:

socket, TCP/IP, UDP, packet, winsock, client, server

clicky