Milkshape 3D

Started by
6 comments, last by Phantasm 23 years, 10 months ago
I''ve been dabbling a bit in different game development areas (I''m mostly learning programming and design), and I found a rather cheap 3D modeller, MilkShape 3D (http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/ms3d1x/). I was wondering if it could actually be a viable alternative to more expensive modellers like 3D Studio Max (MilkShape 3D is only $20 for the registered version). If anyone out there has ever used it, could I please get an opinion on it? P h a n t a s m "I'd feel safer if the helicopter had an ejection seat."
Phantasm
Advertisement
Milkshape 3D is extremely popular with MOD makers so I would say that it is a very priceworthy alternative to 3D Studio MAX and the likes.

- WitchLord

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Still a bit buggy, but I think that you get free upgrades once you register, so go for it! It''s a perfectly good modeller and much less costly.

------------------------------
Changing the face of adventure gaming...
Atypical Interactive
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive
I have been on the look for a free and easy to use 3d modeler. I tried the demo of Milkshape, and it was ok. I tried some others like blender. (Has anyone figure the GUI on Blender?) The best free modeler that I have found so far is Strata 3d. It is a free modeler and I was very surprised with the simplicity and how profesional quality it was. www.strata3d.com
My only complaint is that it does not export very many different file formats, but it works great for what I use it for.
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
I find milkshape good for game stuff, besides, there''s a 30 day shareware on it, so no harm in trying. Since Strata is free, you could dl both of them conceivably. I personally like milkshape for how closely it works with game files.

Dare To Think Outside The Box
I, too, need a 3d modeler. I need to create some fairly simple objects for my game-in-progress. I''ve tried Rhino (15-use trial), Blender, AC3D, Direct Xtender, and 3D Canvas, and I just tried Strata 3D after reading this post. I also tried to download MilkShape but the download kept getting interrupted.

Rhino is a NURBS modeler, but I was just trying to use it to create a polygon mesh (my objects aren''t "organic"). Basically I was using all "straight" NURBS, and my model was turning out pretty good. Unfortunately, things didn''t pan out when I tried to convert from NURBS to triangles during export.

Blender, Strata, and all the other free/shareware modelers didn''t offer nearly enough control as compared to Rhino (one example: besides Strata, none had snap-to-grid, which is surprisingly vital, I found).

So, any other suggestions for 3D modeling software? I''m willing to spend a few hundred $$, but not $7000 for Maya or 3D Studio Max (I''m starting to think that I''ll just end up creating the models manually, vertex by vertex, in a text file).
There should be a 3D modeler here: Clayworks3D

- WitchLord

Edited by - WitchLord on June 10, 2000 7:17:04 AM

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Awesome...I suppose I''ll go ahead and shell out the $20 or so they want for Milkshape 3D. Thanks for the advice, all! Oh, and I''ll check out that Clayworks3D when they release the next version.

P h a n t a s m
"I'd feel safer if the helicopter had an ejection seat."
Phantasm

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement