how did they do the images for Diablo 2

Started by
3 comments, last by wolfbane 20 years, 10 months ago
I was wondering how to make iso towns like in Diablo I and II. I understand that the characters are pre renderd in a 3d modeling app. But how are the buildings done? Another example of what im talking about : www.angelfire.com/clone/wolfbane/pic1.jpg whats the best approach to doing these kind of builings and properly coloring them (ie textures) ?
Advertisement
I guess you just asked a whole lot of questions! Most 3d programs have an isometric persepctive. I would imagine the artists would make buildings in 3d and then texture the 3d "pieces" that would be later used as a 2d sprite. They would then switch to an isometric perscpetive and export a flat picture of their 3d model. Some programs do not have the isometric perscptive built in but I cannot tell you the proper angle for the camera to be positioned it.

Texturing in and of itself is an art.
blizzard uses 3dsmax for modeling, texuring to cinematics.

And max has a ortho camera too. And as i observed instead of rendering whole huge stucture commom things are in pieces.
3D Side-Scroller game demo Project-X2 "playable"Lashkar: A 3D Game & Simulation Project demo @ lashkar.berlios.de
Cool thanx for the reply. I know how to get the iso perspective in max so Ill give it a try.
Just curious, what game is that from (obviously not D1 or D2)? I see the Gamespot overlay but I really don't want to wade through their site to try and find it.

[edit: nevermind ... actually found it on Gamespot For those interested: Sacred]

[edited by - AtelierVisca on May 30, 2003 1:46:46 PM]
- James

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement