Corrupted cpp file - need recovery tool

Started by
6 comments, last by SDyer 20 years, 11 months ago
Sometimes my game crashes in full-screen mode and the only way out is to cycle the power. When I do this, Visual Studio, on its way out, corrupts some of the files I had open at the time. Often I can fix the file myself, but sometimes the file comes back as "binary" and unreadable by anything. HELP! I need a utility that can help me read this file and get it back to ASCII. I know most of my data''s there, I just need a utility to get at it. I''ve searched CNet, Google, etc. and can''t find anything that is specifically for a corrupted ASCII file (most are for accidentally delted files...). Can anyone help me? This was a couple days worth of work.
Advertisement
I hate to break it to you, but I''m pretty sure that the data has been overwritten and is no longer accessible. I''ve had that happen before, it blows.

On a side note, are you using Visual Assist? The only time I had problems with MSVC doing that was when I was running Visual Assist, which was why I had to stop using it.

Josh
I hate to say this but this is precisely why everyone needs backups. As an answer to your question, see if you have a backup in your system recovery set(if you have a windows with this feature).

No no no no! :)
Luckily, I found a copy of the file I''d attached to an email the day before- so I lost only the little bit of work last night. I use VSS, but all of this work was done since the last checkout a couple of days ago.

What happens is that some files open in Visual Studio get corrupted - usually characters are inserted at the top, or the beginning or end of the file is overwritten - but the file is still readable. I can cut and paste the missing sections from previous copies, which isn''t so bad.

The real problem is when a file is corrupted so much that VS sees it as "binary". This is where I would like to have a tool that lets me look at the file byte-by-byte, letting me cut out the good ASCII portions and discarding the other junk.

Does anyone know of a utility that does this? I''d still like to know, because this is not an uncommon occurence.
quote:Original post by SDyer
This is where I would like to have a tool that lets me look at the file byte-by-byte, letting me cut out the good ASCII portions and discarding the other junk.

Does anyone know of a utility that does this? I''d still like to know, because this is not an uncommon occurence.

Ironically, Visual Studio is what you''re looking for. At least verion 6.0. In 6.0 when you opened a file, at the bottom of the open dialog you could specify to open as Auto, Text, Binary, or Resources. This allowed you to open anything as binary and edit the bytes directly. I don''t know why they took this out in .Net, it drives me nuts.
Brianmiserere nostri Domine miserere nostri
Also, look for a Hex Editor program like Ultra-Edit. You can toggle between ASCII and binary views of the data at will.
quote:Original post by BriTeg
In 6.0 when you opened a file, at the bottom of the open dialog you could specify to open as Auto, Text, Binary, or Resources. This allowed you to open anything as binary and edit the bytes directly. I don''t know why they took this out in .Net, it drives me nuts.

It''s still there. Click the little arrow on the Open button in the file dialog, and choose Open With...

AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
quote:Original post by Arild Fines
It''s still there. Click the little arrow on the Open button in the file dialog, and choose Open With...

Awesome, thanks! I never noticed that little arrow after all this time.
Brianmiserere nostri Domine miserere nostri

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement