Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saving Levels

This topic is 5313 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When I save files made by my world editor, they tend to be around 1 mb at minumum. So I zipped the file and it reduced to 4Kb, which is insanely small (near 100% smaller than the origional). So is it good practice to have large files then run a compression algorithim on them once saved, and inflate them once loaded? Seems like kind of a brute force approach, but damn handy.

I think it''s recomended from a technical point of view. Today games tend to be big just to support HW manufacturers. But I can say that decompresing 4KB file to a 1Mb data when running will not take time even on a slow computer. Unless you target speed on a 486, I say go for compression. I allways go for it. And if you plan to distribute this software, then allways less data costs less to transfer for consummers.
Pet.

I would compress it if you can. Don''t worry making a perfect algorithm, but at least do something. Most of the space a game takes is from the resource files. ~1% ends up being actual code in most of the large games.