Saving Levels

Started by
4 comments, last by Mulligan 20 years, 10 months ago
When I save files made by my world editor, they tend to be around 1 mb at minumum. So I zipped the file and it reduced to 4Kb, which is insanely small (near 100% smaller than the origional). So is it good practice to have large files then run a compression algorithim on them once saved, and inflate them once loaded? Seems like kind of a brute force approach, but damn handy.
Advertisement
I think it''s recomended from a technical point of view. Today games tend to be big just to support HW manufacturers. But I can say that decompresing 4KB file to a 1Mb data when running will not take time even on a slow computer. Unless you target speed on a 486, I say go for compression. I allways go for it. And if you plan to distribute this software, then allways less data costs less to transfer for consummers.
Pet.
I''d also look into removing the redundant data from your exported maps.

Why you shouldn''t use iostream.h - ever! | A Good free online C++ book
Deus Ex had savegame files of about 16 megs... so don''t worry :D
quote:Original post by l3mon
Deus Ex had savegame files of about 16 megs... so don''t worry :D

Wow, that''s just insane .
I would compress it if you can. Don''t worry making a perfect algorithm, but at least do something. Most of the space a game takes is from the resource files. ~1% ends up being actual code in most of the large games.
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement