need suggestion on books

Started by
12 comments, last by DOOM III 20 years, 10 months ago
I'm going to buy a few books relating to graphics programming on amazon.com but there're too many books listed under the "Graphics & Multimedia" section and I don't know which to choose. please give me some name of the books you found useful and I'm going to make the decision based on your suggestion,thanks a lot. [edited by - DOOM III on May 29, 2003 1:43:16 AM]
Advertisement
define "relating to graphics programming". What specific domain ? Beginner level, intermediate, advanced, or academic research ? General programming theory, or using a specific API like OpenGL or Direct3D ?

If you want general overview over everything, I would recommend Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice, by Foley, Van Dam, et al.

Also check out the graphics books section here at GDNet.
Ummmm, yeah, CG&P is one great buy. And... oh yeah, there''s always that terrain book everyone''s always talking about, I''ve heard that''s alright... *cough*

Trent Polack
trent.codershq.com
trent@codershq.com
Author of Focus on 3D Terrain Programming
quote:Original post by mittens
Ummmm, yeah, CG&P is one great buy. And... oh yeah, there''s always that terrain book everyone''s always talking about, I''ve heard that''s alright... *cough*

I bought that book, and it''s ok. But the OP is only going to buy a few books, I wouldn''t put it in the list. "Real-Time Rendering" would be my first recommendation.

But it all comes down to what you are trying to learn here. I would recommend that you buy a general book, read it, make a selection of subjects that you want to understand better and then buy some more books on those subjects.

A little practice in the middle is a good idea.

As alvaro said:

Real-Time Rendering (2nd Edition)
by Tomas Akenine-Moller, Eric Haines

Its a must book.I didn''t seen a better one.
Also, Alan Watt''s 3d Computer Graphics is a great choice.
For openGl, the OpenGL Programming Guide Third Edition is a good choice, as it covers everything there is to know about the OpenGl 1.2 API. OpenGL Game Programming also teaches OpenGl, along with DirectSound and DirectInput, and uses 0f OpenGL such as shadow volumes and heightmap terrain, things not directly in the API.
"3D Math Primer for Games and Graphics development" is a great introductory book, i can highly recommend it.

"Game Programming Gems" is a very great book series which include more intermediate to advanced topics about almost all areas in game programming (including sound & fx, network).

And, of course, as others have mentioned, CG & P....
The Game Programming Gems books are awesome. We have them here in the office and they''re great to just browse through whenever I''m stuck/bored/whatever.

-- Steve --
Blue Fang Games
-- Steve --
yeah but definitevely not for the beginner. These are advanced game programming. If you don;t know about graphics programming and general game programming, they are useless.

If you are a total noob, OpenGL Games Programming is a good introduction.

Everything is better with Metal.

If you are a total noob, then I cannot stress more that you get the Foley & Van Dam book. Especially if you want to get into games programming as a career. Real Time Rendering is also a great book with lots of relevant examples, but Foley & Van Dam covers in detail things that RTR assumes you already know.
What?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement