Lightwave and 3d studio

Started by
5 comments, last by Elite19 20 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I''m totaly new to game development and I have a few questions. First of all can you use 3d studio to make a full game or do you use a programming language aswell. I already have lightwave and have been using it for animation, could I use it for making games, I mean what else do I need. Thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------- There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those who don't.
Advertisement
Yes. You could use Lightwave to make games. In example the Serius Sam was made totaly with Lightwave.You need to load the models into your project. I suggest that you should start with an easier model to load such as milkshape.
The Lwo file is little difficult to understand. It may help you the SDK from Newtek.

Good Luck.
HellRaiZer
those programs u mention are for 3d modelling

you then use c++ code to load in the model and display using opengl or direct3d
serious sam was not completely made in lightwave
it uses the serious engine developed by croteam

"Game content creation is done in two tools: Serious Editor and Serious Modeler. Serious Modeler is used to create game models from 3D files imported from standard 3D object editors (like Lightwave or 3D Studio). In Serious Editor, worlds are created and populated with entities."
Anonymous Poster where did you found this quote???
Because i''m using Lightwave for model loading, and i''m building my level editor, i would like to read how Serious Sam handle things.

Btw, Unreal 2 uses lightwave for some of its models. You don''t believe me? Go to Newtek and search for uv mapping tuts. I think two of them has been writter from a modeller from Epic Games, and as he says he used Ligthwave for model creation!!!

HellRaiZer
HellRaiZer
No you cannot make a game with just LightWAve or 3ds max... You need to do a little programming, however you can have a little text-based control over your models and animation in Max, its called MaxScript, kinda like a programming language... But no you need an SDK, a compiler compatible to the SDK, and some other stuff...

BattleGuard

Whenever I try to find a better signature than this... Well, I can''t... This is it, Sorry...
you can find information on the Serious Engine at
http://www.croteam.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement