What do I need to work for Rare?

Started by
26 comments, last by OklyDokly 19 years, 11 months ago
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
most of the Rare talent left halfway through perfect dark (many beleive this is the reason the laster part of the game is weak in comparison to the first half) - some of them set up a company - free radical and made the timesplitters games.

also the goldeneye project leader Kartin hollis has also left and started a new company names Zoonami, currently working on a gamecube title for nintendo - but not a fps.

also there were reports of 25% of rare staff leaving at the time the were sold to Microsoft.

A common trend in the games industry (during happier times) is for staff to work somewhere for a couple of products and then move on to another company. There''s a hell of a lot of nomads in this industry.

Doesn''t mean very much at all really. I could provide plenty of examples and counter examples regarding staff turnover.

quote:also i been told that they get there staff turnover is terrible, they get people right out of college and work them like dogs until they quit,

That''s not at all uncommon in the industry. The casual attitude amongst dev staff in general does let in some shark like management practices occasionally. That''s assuming that hearsay about Rare is actually true rather than just some fanboy/tester nonsense from fatbabies.

quote:probably why they have been constantly advertising for staff for ages.

LOL. They''ve been advertising in Edge *every* month (-~2) for the past 10 years (~10 years ago when I was interviewed by them). They can snap up talented people very quickly that way (i.e. no print lead time). They can also stockpile CVs to fill vacancies when they arise (it was a few months after sending my CV to them back then that they invited me down). A regular advert doesn''t mean they can''t get new staff!

quote:doesnt sound like a nice place to work does it.

Twycross has a pub, a tractor dealership and a few houses - oh and a zoo - umm very scenic & pleasant, what more do you need. The labradors were friendly enough too . Bit of a pain if you don''t have a car (£13 in a taxi from the nearest train station - and that''s once you''ve found a driver who knows where it is ).

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Advertisement
Wow, not checked this post for some time, but I do actually work for Rare now.

It is a lot better place to work than some of you people think, they have a lot of respect for their employees, and the offices are really nice.

Thanks for your help through my application process anyway, really did assist me getting through.

Ciao
Wow. Congratulations.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Good job. now send me betas and inside information on everything you''re working on.
Sup guys?
OklyDokly, congratulations! I have an interview with Rare coming up. Could you possibly give me some hints e.g. what they are looking for in a potential employee. What was the interview like? What sort of questions did they ask? Technical? Personal? Did they give you a test? Any help will be much appreciated.
does anyone know if Rare take on graduates without any experience in coding games/demos? im fluent in C/C++ and can easily code apps etc, but haven''t used or experimented in direct-x or open GL. would this be a certain rejection?
I was part of the original rare development team... When we hardly focusing on games... Alot of us (the original design teams) left before any of the shelf or arcade titles came out..
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
does anyone know if Rare take on graduates without any experience in coding games/demos? im fluent in C/C++ and can easily code apps etc, but haven''t used or experimented in direct-x or open GL. would this be a certain rejection?

Absolutely yes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement