What do I need to work for Rare?

Started by
26 comments, last by OklyDokly 19 years, 11 months ago
Wow I noticed that Rare are recruiting, but on their website, they said nothing of the requirements, other than that you should know C/C++ or Assembler. What do you reckon it takes to work for them? Surely it''s got to be hard to get in?
Advertisement
I guess you could try calling their HR department - they may be able to give you specifics of the job requirements.

And yeah, I reckon it''d be tough to get in!

Paul Cunningham
Cheers,Paul CunninghamPumpkin Games
I have just finished my degree in software engineering and i sent them a demo disk of my directx stuff.

I got the shortest rejection letter ever!!!

Dear...
You have not been selected for an interview.
Rare
Think I''m gonna apply, even though it''s fruitless.....

Sending off about 30 applications, just spent the last day, searching every UK games company I can find on the internet
That''s what i did a few months ago, no job though. A friend of said it was probably becuase i wasn''t available for work due to still being at Uni. When he had his interview they wanted him to start immediatley.

Think i have decided to use agencies instead, when i get back off my hol''s, I only finished Uni yesturday, need a break and i am taking my computer with me so i can work on a better demo.

Cool sounds a bit more promising lol

btw I noticed, if you need some examples of what demos should look like, or just advice on getting into the games industry, Blitz games has some good material at:

Blitz Games
Thanks for that.

Didn't mean to sound negative and good luck with your applications.

Datascope also have advise for graduate/Demo stuff.

Also, one of companies, can't remember which, turned me down becuase i didn't state my wanted earnings. They claim they tried to contact me, but they didn't.

[edited by - Defcom on May 29, 2003 4:16:57 AM]
How many companies did you try in total?
Oops, how embarrasing. It was Blitz games who rejected me over the ''wages'' I gave them 2 phone numbers, 2 email address and my postal address and yet they claim they couldn''t contact me to rectify this all important information. Who wants to work for a company with that kind of incompetance. Plus who cares about the wages, there seem to be a minimum wage for game programmers, which i am willing to work for. And... surely wages are to be discussed at the end of a succesfull interview.
In the end, about tweleve. I too found a list of UK companies a few had allready gone under, some looked like they were about to. I was quite discriminative (is that a word?) I have wife and kids was hoping not to move to far, so i was initially looking for long standing companies within 70-100 miles of sheffield.
warwickshire-leeds-machester...
I am still waiting for a rejection letter from codemasters.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement